Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Question about conceal carry

15K views 53 replies 22 participants last post by  BG-Pete 
#1 ·
Im in TX and have a permit I am wondering if Illinois allows it Ill be traveling threw the state?? TX has No agreement on file with the state.

#2 ·
No sir....hell no....no way....not a chance. Illinois doesn't not allow handguns, no reciprocity, no permits, you can't even own a handgun there. It is one of a very few states left that DO NOT allow handguns. I live in Tennessee and have a CC permit but I can't carry in IL under any circumstances. Your gun will have to be under lock and key and the ammo in a separate location.

#9 ·
Ditto!!!!.....

Thanks but I have that information on other states I could not find any info on Illinois that made any since that's why I posted. I just find it hard to believe that they are that restrictive that you cant even own a hand gun WOW. Glad I live in TX come January they are going to push for open carry I think that's a bad Idea I have my reasons for that. I like to keep the bad guy's guessing.
Yeah Illinois thinks that outlawing handguns is a way to get the crime rate to come down...Yet I remember seeing on the news a couple months ago that the murder rate in Chicago had already passed the entire body count for 2011...We live in Northern Indiana, but our "local" stations through satellite TV is Chicago stations...EVERY DAY on the news I hear about somebody getting shot in the Chicago area...What the IL lawmakers fail to see is that if some dirtbag is already planning on breaking into somebody's home and robbing them, holding up the corner liquor store, or mugging somebody waiting for the bus, an illegal weapon charge added on isn't really a deterrent...All that does is keep the honest people unarmed and defenseless...:banghead:

#6 ·
Thanks but I have that information on other states I could not find any info on Illinois that made any since that's why I posted. I just find it hard to believe that they are that restrictive that you cant even own a hand gun WOW. Glad I live in TX come January they are going to push for open carry I think that's a bad Idea I have my reasons for that. I like to keep the bad guy's guessing.

#18 ·
If we had an open carry law I would open carry myself as I said earlier Tx is considering it. The Issue I have is the cops having to check every time someone reports a person with a hand gun it will take away there time doing other things.

#10 ·
You CAN own a handgun in Illinois, just not supposed to in Chicago. I own several. Last year a 70+ man shot and killed an intruder in his Chicago home. No arrest was made. The media made him out to be a hero for protecting his family. As far as carrying in Illinois you do have to store ammo seperately.

#20 · (Edited)
Yep, it's just like Marty says, it's not illegal to own (downstate), and you only have to have the weapon unloaded, not locked away & separate carriers for the gun & ammo. BUT, it's still bullshit, the constitution guarantees my right to own & BEAR arms unconditionally, and those rights shall NOT be infringed upon, period.

** "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" **

#12 ·
Yup, you have to have an FOID card to purchase a gun in Illinois, I'm unaware of purchase limits, I guess I haven't hit them yet. You kinda lost me with that last comment about politicians but lets not go there.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Guys - I am a gun owner in IL and have to clarify something.
It is perfectly legal in Illinois to OWN a gun (even in Chicago, where 20 year ban was lifted, while imposing some restriction - training etc.).
It is NOT legal to conceal carry one though. But you could transport it in IL, if you are following few rules
http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

I do not see it changing any time in this century.

Ride safe

(Edited out the political reference) - Big-X)

#15 ·
Good post. Thanks.

#16 ·
I do my best not to ride in States that have no agreement with Arizona.My wife & i both have CC Permits & heading for Laughlin,Nevada .Our Rt. will take us into California so do we keep our guns at home?Not on your life.

#17 ·
I know Washington D.C. has some tight restrictions as well. I usually leave my weapon(s) at home if I'm going up that way. I've had to change my routes to make it where I could travel through states with reciprocity.
Virginia has open carry but most people don't do it. Usually it's only those looking for a problem or trying to prove something that open carry. I read a newspaper article about a group that will open carry, meet for dinner, and eat at the same place once or twice a year "because they can". A couple of the members of the group said that the only time they open carry is when they have the dinner.

#22 ·
I thought this might be a good thread to tag on my question. Do you carry your weapon with "one in the chamber"? Would love to hear your reasons why or why not as well. Thanks.

Pdave:patriot:

#23 ·
I've heard tell of folks carrying locked and loaded, but its way too quick and easy to get into action, you don't have time to evaluate and reevaluate what to do, so it's much better to carry the pistol empty, magazine unloaded, and the ammo in a locked box in the trunk. Plenty of time to think about things that way.
Just joking around, Dave. It's all a time to first response thing. I prefer quick without having to think too much. Some folks prefer an extra step in the midst of going into action. Some CCW laws require that you keep no round in the chamber. Anything that is legal (if you want to be legal) and works for you, is what's best for you.

#27 · (Edited)
Loaded with one in the chamber. If I have to use it, it needs to be ready. I do not want to telegraph to someone I am getting ready to kill them. I would rather explain to the police why they are dead. My gun is not for the threat of violence it is strictly for protection (life or death).

#28 ·
Locked and Loaded. I have never been able to understand the reasoning in not carrying a firearm any other way. Look up the training videos on youtube. "21 foot rule". If facing an adversary with a knife. He is 21' away from you. He can cover the distance and stab you numerous times before you can draw your gun. Then add the step of having to chamber a round. Your dead before you ever get your gun ready to defend yourself. Just doesn't make sense to me. My .02.

#30 ·
Wow!!!!! Lots of great responses. Thank you all very much. Here are my take aways.:coffee:

DrOmega "so it's much better to carry the pistol empty, magazine unloaded, and the ammo in a locked box in the trunk. Plenty of time to think about things that way."

From Epi " not having one in the chamber"

G3Truks "what he (Epi) said"

Rhino57 "I carry a revolver"

Mondorah "you could hit the perp with the unloaded gun"

pman71 "want to telegraph to someone I am getting ready to kill them"

DougsVTX "add the step of having to chamber a round"

You guys rock. :mosh:You all could have just written "DOH" PDave" :spank:(Now please excuse me while I go put one you know where) :icon_mrgr

Reactions: DrOmega
#51 ·
Wow!!!!! Lots of great responses. Thank you all very much. Here are my take aways.:coffee:

DrOmega "so it's much better to carry the pistol empty, magazine unloaded, and the ammo in a locked box in the trunk. Plenty of time to think about things that way."

Man we need a sarcasm font :) LOL

#31 ·
Being from Illinois, specifically Cook County with the strictest gun laws in the country, I can assure everyone that there definitely a connection with the massive amount of murders and the lack of gun support in Illinois, specifically Cook County. They did pass the CC but it has already been appealed and with the people incorrectly using the Newtown incident (which the opposition has already been doing), I am sure it will be back to the way it was.

#33 ·
One of the reasons I'm moving out of cook county next week. Still in Illinois but at least a place I don't have to heat about the massive amounts of murders on a daily basis.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

#34 ·
Wow, sounds like time to bring in some of the Vets from Afghanistan to start there own group of S.W.A.T. type protection groups. Start GIVING them houses in those areas and allow them to clean up the streets. I did that in Everett (one of the worst parts of town) and was offered a job with the police numerous times. When I told them I had more rights as a privet citizen, they finally quit asking. One Man can make a difference. A whole group, can solve this problem in just a few weeks. You might have to actually shoot people but, they are the ones who wanted this war. If they were to give me a house and a job, I would clean up the neighborhood. I would bet these soldiers would love the chance to take back our streets? Most would not even need the job or the house, they would probably do it for free. It is not a hard thing to do if you treat the soldiers with respect, give them food, a place to stay, they have done it for less and would be more than willing to protect the community in a country they would be willing to risk there lives to protect.

#36 ·
As someone mentioned better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. If my travels brought me in their borders I'd simply be illegally carrying. To PDave's question, I think your synopsis wasn't entirely their intended thoughts, but I do think the agreement is have one racked and ready. My only fear of ever doing this was understanding my safeties (on a non-safety XD/Glock) type firearm so I didn't shoot my balls off... aside from that concern, and overcoming it with practice and training and understanding how to carry properly better, now I would never have one without it being able to immediately fire. Part because of time delay, part also as someone mentioned 'announcing' what I'm up to... the slide racking would clearly take away my possible moment of surprise were I about to save another person's life, etc.

Mort

#40 ·
As someone mentioned better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. If my travels brought me in their borders I'd simply be illegally carrying. To PDave's question, I think your synopsis wasn't entirely their intended thoughts,
Mort
Mort, I can't thank you enough for pointing out the error in my conclusion.:glee: I worked really really hard on that response (so much cutting and illicit pasting) and was on the edge of deep sadness as to the lack of response, until I saw your post. :glee:I now have one in the chamber and vow never to be "chamberless" ever ever again.

#37 ·
Food for thought..

Walking through the local mall two nights ago with my son, we both carry and are permitted, and the mall has signs up on the doors and in the parking lot saying "NO GUNS". My son throws his jacket over his shoulder and his LC 9 goes sliding across the tile floor in an over crowded mall. Two young girls, probably around 12-13, see the gun before the big fella can dive and hide it and both are shocked.
So I tell my son he needs to get out to the parking lot and stow the gun ASAP...and before we could get to the door we were approached by a LEO and a mall security guard. They were very nice, reminded us of the signs on the doors and offered to store our guns for us while we shopped.
1. We were lucky that the cop was a reasonable and sympathetic guy.
2. People are a little leary of guns especially now. They had gotten 4 calls.
3. My son has signed up for a tactical workshop in two weeks and has purchased a new holster with a thumb latch.
4. The LEO guessed that while we talked, about 5 minutes, more than 10-15 people had passed us and were carrying without a permit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.