Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Darksiders out there, I have a buddy (not a forum member) that has an 02 1800C, stock rim. He goes about 300lbs and his girlfriend goes about 200. When they go on a long trip with luggage you can just imagine the kind of weight they're putting on that bike. He's wearing out tires about as quick as he can put them on. I suggested he try a car tire if nothing else but for the cost advantage. So here's the input I'm looking for. What brand and size are you using ?..especially you guys with a C model. He is currantly using a Metz 200. Any suggestions to handle the weight would be appreciated as well.

·
Darksider
2,849 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (?) the same tires size will fit all the models without having a problem with the fender. The only problem I see with putting a CT on an N would be you'd have to have it a lot higher on a lift to be able to get it under the fender.

What I did on my C should work even better for an N, and that was to raise it up high enough to get the tire under the fender, then lower it back down so you don't have to lift it as high to get it mounted back in.

·
Darkside 205/65R/16
70 Posts
I run the 205/65/16 Michelin Primacy MXV4. It has now got very close to 10,000 miles and I still have 10/32nds of tread left. I run solo 99% of the time though & don't pack near what weight that your friend does. The tire I have does not make a sound when rolling at highway speeds. I run 43 PSI as well.
One thing if he does go the way of the CT is to trim the inner fender strut black braces near the rear.
Another thing, the 65 series tire will correct the speedo as well. What it shows is what you are actually going!

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I talked to my buddy this weekend and told him what tires you guys are using. He seems excited about the "darkside conversion" and promised that next time I see his bike it will have a CT on it. I'll let you know how he likes it. As far as the HD shocks go he said that he had HD shocks put on his bike a couple of years ago although he's unsure of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My buddy called me last night and said he loves his new Michelin Hydroedge. So where does he go to get his cookies?

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
I'm thinking about trying the Michelin when I wear out my Triple Tred but I can't find the Hydroedge in a 205/60/16. Where are you 1800 guys getting them?

Thanks

Ride Safe:choppersm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone here running a darkside 1800r model? I've been contemplating it myself but didn't know what a good size ct would be for my retro since it seems the 180 mt already seems like a tight fit between the inner fender well. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Anyone here running a darkside 1800r model? I've been contemplating it myself but didn't know what a good size ct would be for my retro since it seems the 180 mt already seems like a tight fit between the inner fender well. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
The 1800R and 1300R both use the exact same rear fender...I run a 205/70-15 Yokahama Avid S Touring...No rubbing issues whatsoever...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm thinking about trying the Michelin when I wear out my Triple Tred but I can't find the Hydroedge in a 205/60/16. Where are you 1800 guys getting them?

Thanks

Ride Safe:choppersm
I checked with my local Sam's Club and they had a few in stock. The Tire Tech said any Sam's Club could order.....not sure but if they can, why not Wal-Mart?

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts

sounds like he should stay away from the cookies for a while!
How about cookies made of hydroxycut.

I ran 205/55B16 on my 1800C... works fine, but headin back to an mc tire myself. Was a fun run.

Mort:cheers:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts