Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I feel kind of dumb asking this, but has anybody run into a problem with your oil dipstick cap being too tight to easily remove? I just bought a used 2007 VTX 1300s and I wanted to check the oil level, but I can't for the life of me get the friggin' dipstick cap to move. And yup, I remembered to go 'lefty-loosey' :). Hell, I even double-checked a youtube video to make sure I wasn't crazy!

I'm hesitant to take a pair of pliers to it in case I wreck the cap in the process. Anybody got any advice? I'm taking it in to a shop this week or next anyway for a 4k mile maintenance, but I wanted to take a look before I rode it.

Thanks for any help,
-Andrew

·
Registered
912 Posts
Andrew,sometimes i still have that problem ,after 5years with this bike, just tightens up with vibration i guess.Do what the other poster said use a crescent wrench & take it sloooooooow!

·
Registered
424 Posts
You might want to put a shop rag on it before applying the crescent wrench. Less likely to leave a mark in the plastic. D Day

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had the same problem with my stock oil plug ( the black plastic one ). When I changed to a chrome and new "o" ring the problem went away. good luck

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
yep, I suspect that the o-ring is missing or crushed.. Thick rag and a crescent wrench, and apply steady pressure until it pops.. Then replace or install an o-ring.

-Gonz

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine was too tight to unscrew by hand , I just took a rag and put it over the cap not to get teeth marks in there , and I used a channel lock crecent wrench and just slight power and it came loose immediately . I actually want my oil cap to be hard to unscrew by hand so no one can take it off and sabotage my oil when im in a store or whatever . I purchased a chrome one and now you can just unscrew by hand and im kinda upset about that .I tried to buy a locking one and there is no such thing out there I searched .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts