Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is the idle adjustment screw located in VTX 1800 ? can I tinker with it .
I want to make the idle sound better ... ;)

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I'm not sure where it is on the 1800 myself, but adjusting it just for "sound" is a lost cause...If you're trying to replicate the "Harley" sound with an 1800, it will never happen....The VTX1800 is a dual-pin crank design, where a Harley, and VTX 1300 has a single-pin design...Makes the engines sound completely different from each other...That along with the HD's 45 degree "V" and Honda's 52 degree "V" also contribute to the sound differences...Also keep in mind that if you lower the idle speed too much, you're not gonna have enough oil pressure to properly lubricate the top end of the engine...That will lead to worn cam bearings, among other problems...Personally, I'll give up a little bit of "sound" coolness to make sure my engine lives a long life..

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
You'll find the adjustment knob on the left side of the engine in the lower part of the V, just below your radiator reserve tank. I tell this only because you may need it one day. Other than that I agree with everything Bassdude has told you. You aren't ever going to get the HD sound from an 1800. On a Honda a lope isn't a good thing, it's not designed for that. Change the pipes or modify your stock mufflers if you want a different sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts