Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from central Texas!

I need quick information- I'm shopping used 1300s and there are quite a few. Would any of you guys buy an 05' w/ 64k miles for $3000? It runs well and looks ok (needs some polishing), fairly new tires, corbin seat/backrest, hard bags, windshield, foot boards- really a pretty good deal if it keeps running BUT- it backfired a few times. The owner is an ex- bike mechanic and he claims it just started backfiring w/ recent cold weather (40F today). Also claims recent carb rebuild. Should I be concerned or should I just spend an extra $2000 for 07' w/ 3400 mi, new tires and nothing else added. OR new 07' for $7300 out-the-door at local dealer?
HELP SOON, I've got a terrible itch that needs a good 2-wheel scratch!!!
Thanks to all.

UPDATE!- Thanks to all who helped me, but he who hesitates... the 64k mile bike sold about 2 hrs after I saw it, but I didn't know for 2 days. That only helped in my decision. If something feels right, I'll know it quickly, and I was hesitant probably for a reason. So now I'm following up on some of your advice on new bikes on the web. If Chattanooga was't so far I'd be on the road already. I'll see how bad these dealers want to get rid of old/new stock and let you know how it goes. Thanks again, and keep the dealer tips coming!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Carbs do not typically require rebuilding at 64k. The 1300 is cold blooded as are most carburated Hondas and will couch a bit in very cold air. 64 k is not a lot of miles. I would go with the new bike but that is because I tend to keep them around for ten to fifteen years.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
its true the 1300s do backfire in the cold and its also true that you can get many many miles out of an X, think around 100,000 with good care, it depends on how mechanically inclined you are. For 2 thousand more you get a newer bike with no accessories, for 7,300 you get a brand new bike with zero miles. If money will not be an issue, i'd get the new bike with full Honda warranty. If money is an issue, either of the two used bikes sound like good deals. Bikes are so personal, that i bet you like the looks of one rather than the other. That would be your best choice of all.

good luck in whatever choice you make, and welcome to the Cafe :)

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
While I have put 80,000 miles on a 07 VTX R without any problems until the truck turned in front of me.
Now I have put around 55,000 on my 05 VTX S.
I would not feel comfortable paying $3000 for a bike with that many miles on it. especially if I did not know the complete history.

$5k is a little better for a bike with 3400 miles but if you can afford it I would buy the new one.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with whatever route that you take the VTX is a great bike!

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
And Marty should know. Because of the econmy and the time of year ther are some great deals on VTXs. I would pass on the 64K mile one if you can swing the $5000 for the 07. For 2K more you can put on all those extra mile. That being said, 64K miles on hte Honda may be high but not for a Honda. If you were racking up 15-20K miles a year i would pass but if your going to ride 3-4K miles then it will last you a while. Me personally would pass on the high mileage one just because there is so much to choose from for not much more.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
As they have said...if you can swing it, buy new...it will save you alot of headaches in the long run...you will know from day 1 whats been done to it...if new isn't really an option I would go for the 07 model...But my opinion for what the new ones are going for right now, I would buy new....Good Luck :cheers:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lot's of great advice above, so the only thing I would add is that being in a hurry and grabbing the first deal you find could lead to lot's of regrets... Now is a great time to be shopping for bikes and you can find some steals on leftovers if you can afford it. Can't remember if it was this or the other board, but someone recently picked up a very clean 1800 for under $3k. The deals are out there, just be as patient as you can and get what you want.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
As been stated, great deals out there this time of year. Don't forget to put up some money for the mods if you decide on new. Adds up fast!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If you have the dough $$$ I would buy NEW.

If not get some photos of the bikes you are looking at, ask the sellers questions about service intervals that have been preformed.
Come back and post the data here on the site and you should get lots of input from members with the voices of experience on this VTX Forum.

New 2007 1300's

Check out these NEW 2007 VTX 1300C and R models.

2007 Honda VTX1300C
http://www.southernhonda.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=3533742&Brand=16&Type=1786&fpg=1

2007 Honda VTX1300R
http://www.southernhonda.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=3533744&Brand=16&Type=1786&fpg=1

New 2008 and 2007 VTX 1800's

Or you may wish to go for the VTX 1800F / N / or C

2008 VTX 1800F

http://www.southernhonda.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=5330163&Brand=16&Type=1786&source=searchbar

2008 VTX 1800N (they went back up on the price on this one) was a little under $9,000.

http://www.southernhonda.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=5329892&Brand=16&Type=1786

2007 VTX 1800C (Black and Red w/black flames)

http://www.southernhonda.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=3843414&Brand=16&Type=1786

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I ran my '08 in the cold with no backfire. It probably needs a few adjustments... PAIR removal or new exhaust gaskets if it backfires... about $20 max. Can't remember what PAIR blockoff plates cost.

I would go with the '07. ANd you can build it the way you like with a few extra $.

But that's just me. I like building bikes from stock.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
great advice here...Also don't let that high dollar Corbin seat be a deciding factor....Most folks that have bought one of those seats say it sucks...Myself, I'd pass on the one with 64k on the clock....Better deals on lower mileage bikes out there right now...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well I'm at 50K on mine and I wouldn't sell mine for 3k, so that sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
its a tough decision......I know there's lots of bike out there with much less miles for not too much more....check out the classifieds in this forum.......it's very tempting to get the bike with all the toys on it for less....but there's a reason he's selling at that amount......I would check out a less mile bike.....

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,121 Posts
Of those three choices, my money would be on the bike with 3400 miles, but there are many more choices out there.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about the miles as I would about the backfiring and carb re-build. I believe that I would keep looking. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'll join in with the choir in that there are allot of great deals on low mileage bikes out there. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Xtras are expensive but worth little to nothing in resale.

·
Registered
91 Posts
new vs used

In Oct. this year I purchased a new zero miles 1300R from AR honda dealership for $6300 and they had several other 1300's (not R) for $5800.

Shop around cause dealer is $1000 higher than other dealers are selling them.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
So, it looks like you bought a 2007 1300. How about some details?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts