Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Quick? on shimming needle

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  nocool 
#1 ·
I just got done doing the netron mob to the air box,I also have road burner 3" stepped pro exhaust. I'm getting ready to pull the tank. How many shims do you recommend 2 or 3? Thanks I going to go pull the tank and I'll check back.

btw using scar method

D:patriot:

#3 ·
Hey Charlie D, I started out w/2 but it was running way too lean around 50mph and above, took it back apart added another shim and 2-1/2 on the mixture screw. Started it up and it idled with no problem(usually takes awhile before it will idle on it 's own) it pulls hard. but when cruising, say around 60 or more and I give it alittle throttle, it seems to be trying to catch up or something, but give it more throttle and it goes good. So I quess it's time to mess w' the mixture screw. I turned it out another 1/8th of a turn so tommorrow we'll see if that's headed in the right diretion...Thanks for the reply.

D :patriot:

#5 ·
just make sure you clipped enough off the needle holder cap, next up is get a little better response with cutting the diaphram spring down a little.

all bikes are a little different and you just need to tinker with it till you like it.

#9 ·
got yah thanks stile having trouble with the poping and back lashing been talking to charlile D he says to put some miles on it check the plugs for the right coffee or tan color. but i haven't removed the pair valve plats or plugs yet stile reading up on that just trying to trouble shoot the poping and back lashing any help would be great

#13 ·
i took the plugs out this morning back plug was black front plug was tan cleaned them up ran the piss out of it all day they cleaned up but i steal have the popping going on the more i read the more i feel i need to to do a pair valve removal any input would be great that's the last ideal before i spend a loud of $$$$ at the shop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.