Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 1800C
The bottom left support tab on the radiator is leaking. Search results say this is a common defect. I've read about JB Wet Weld but I'm not one to trust epoxy repairs for the long haul. Has anyone found a welding method to fix this. Do you know if the bottom of the radiator is aluminum and is the tab carbon steel. If both were aluminum I could have it welded. But it looks like Honda just drilled two holes in a steel tab and spot welded thru to the aluminum.

Searching the web has all sites showing the radiator on back order. Time to supply is unknown.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
VTX1800C (2005)
7 Posts
2006 1800C
The bottom left support tab on the radiator is leaking. Search results say this is a common defect. I've read about JB Wet Weld but I'm not one to trust epoxy repairs for the long haul. Has anyone found a welding method to fix this. Do you know if the bottom of the radiator is aluminum and is the tab carbon steel. If both were aluminum I could have it welded. But it looks like Honda just drilled two holes in a steel tab and spot welded thru to the aluminum.

Searching the web has all sites showing the radiator on back order. Time to supply is unknown.

Suggestions?
As I bought my bike, they fixed it with epoxy a month ago ... it hold for 6 weeks and was broken again. I ordered a new one and would suggest you to do the same. As I googled it, it seems to be a common defect at our bikes.

Keep the rubber down.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After calling 11 internet sites and seven dealerships, i've come to the conclusion that a new radiator does not exist in the USA. Honda customer service informs me that they have several backorders for radiators but is waiting for raw materials. Their ETA is undetermined. So, I'm now sending it to Myler's radiator:
they say they can seam weld the entire tab, top and bottom. That's my best choice at the moment, and hopefully it is better than factory.

·
Registered
850 Posts
2006 1800C

Suggestions?
take it to a radiator shop and have them braze the crack

·
Registered
17,019 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts