Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I guess I forgot how to post. Second attempt.
I have heard my radiator gurgle before but it was few and far between.
Now If even I take a short ride, I hear it gurgle when I shut it down.
Is this a thermostat problem or what? I almost never, even when I ride in 100 degrees hear the fan kick on!
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thank you.
trent

·
146 Posts
I assume you checked the coolant level. May have a air pocket in cooling system. Run it in your driveway untill the coolant fan kicks on then shut it off, let it sit overnight. Check coolant level in AM see if level dropped. If yes, add coolant and your good to go. If no you may have to pull the gas tank and check the coolant in radiator.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
if the overflow bottle gets low, you can get air in the cooling system.
if the hose from the overflow bottle gets a leak or small crack, same thing.
if system or water pump has a very slow leak, same thing.

sometimes if the thermostat stops working, you could get water bubbling in the engine but the sound will come from the radiator. you may be having overheating problems soon.
check that the FANS do turn on.

check the easy things FIRST.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Clean the inside of the radiator cap. May have to lift the rear of the tank to get to it. Dirt/grime gets under the seal and allows air into the closed system.

·
Registered
821 Posts
check the underside of the water pump for leakage. There is a weep hole on the rear/lower side of it. If there is any sign of leakage, then your mechanical seal is failing and you need a new water pump.

However, I agree that you probably just need to burp/top off the system and should be good.

·
Ride, eat, sleep...repeat
566 Posts
I assume you checked the coolant level. May have a air pocket in cooling system. Run it in your driveway untill the coolant fan kicks on then shut it off, let it sit overnight. Check coolant level in AM see if level dropped. If yes, add coolant and your good to go. If no you may have to pull the gas tank and check the coolant in radiator.
In my welcome posts to newbies, I typically write, "You are in the right place for all things VTX. Just ask." I was going to ask about MY radiator gurgling after a ride. And here it is!! I had done extensive work during the cold winter including draining and refilling the coolant. I have some things to check - thanks cafe'-ers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So what was the verdict... people always ask questions and get some answers but never replies with what the results were. Did the gurgking get stopped. If ao what was it... my buddy is haveing the same problem.

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
never rely on the overflow bottle for anti-freeze level.. always remove the Rad cap.

second is the radiator itself...
dirt/crap/road oil/grease clogs the air passageways...

thermostat.. and radiator cap...

check the ground wire and fan temp switch... they control the fan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts