Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt the top end on my 05 VTX1800. So I have been watching closely for leaks. I found a small leak at the bottom mounting lug for the radiator shroud.
Only a few drops at a time, only when running and warm.
Tried JB-Weld High Temp Putty, and it worked for a week, then started leaking again.
Ordered a new radiator.
Has anyone else had that problem?

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
I am not an expert but I believe I recall a number of other people over the years experiencing leaks from the lower mounting lug on VTX radiators. Some have solved the problem via soldering or glue (e.g. JB weld) but most have had to replace the radiators. I hope that others with more experience on this will provide their input.

Reactions: darrenbashby

·
Registered
18,086 Posts
Thanks for the reply Vinish. Hopefully the new one is more durable! Bike has less than 10,000 miles on it.
Many problems of these, our, bikes are not because of mileage, but time, and sometimes not as diligent observations or preventive maintenance. Not that I'm finding any fault with what you do.

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many problems of these, our, bikes are not because of mileage, but time, and sometimes not as diligent observations or preventive maintenance. Not that I'm finding any fault with what you do.
No worries! I have owned it for just under a year, and I am probably overly concerned with keeping things in top shape.

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
518 Posts
I just had the same issue with my bike this spring. First ride out it started leaking on the lower mount. It was very obvious that it was the mount tab that was leaking. I just purchased a new radiator. I may (down the road a bit) repair the old one to have as a spare. For now it lives in my garage rafters right next to the stock seat.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just had the same issue with my bike this spring. First ride out it started leaking on the lower mount. It was very obvious that it was the mount tab that was leaking. I just purchased a new radiator. I may (down the road a bit) repair the old one to have as a spare. For now it lives in my garage rafters right next to the stock seat.

Ride Safe!
I was thinking the same thing, about fixing it and having a spare.
After the new one shows up, I was thinking of trying my hand at low temp aluminum welding rod.

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ride Safe!
Are there two different radiators for the VTX1800? My new one has the fan mounting lugs 3/4" lower than my old one.
It has the right part number on the new one, the part number on the old one is different.

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
518 Posts
Are there two different radiators for the VTX1800? My new one has the fan mounting lugs 3/4" lower than my old one.
It has the right part number on the new one, the part number on the old one is different.
I am not sure on that. Mine showed up and was exactly the same layout as the one I took off (which I assume was the factory radiator, as I bought it from the original owner). I wonder if it was mis-manufactured, or if there was a reason to lower the fan position on certain models. Does the new location make it not fit when it is all installed?

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure on that. Mine showed up and was exactly the same layout as the one I took off (which I assume was the factory radiator, as I bought it from the original owner). I wonder if it was mis-manufactured, or if there was a reason to lower the fan position on certain models. Does the new location make it not fit when it is all installed?

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Ride Safe!
I figured it out, I think. The 2003 model has a different part number. So I am thinking mine must have been changed for an older one with the fan attached, at some point. Would explain why it was overheated at some point which resulted in significant piston and cylinder scoring. Anyway, yes there are at least two styles, with the only difference being the fan mounting points for the top of the fan.
I made it fit by clamping the top in place with some fender washers. The mounts extended about 1an inch above the mounting points.

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where are you buying the new radiators. Up till a couple months ago they were on back order.
I called the Honda dealer here in Missoula, they referred me to the Honda dealer in Kalispell who has access to "Lightning Shipping?", Lightning something, anyway it is a database of parts available from dealerships across the country. They gave me the number for a dealer in Ohio who had 2 and one in Florida who had one. I got ahold of the dealer in Florida first, and ordered it. Shipping costs are a pain doing it that way, but no pain no gain? :LOL: That is the method I have used to get many of the parts I needed to do a top end rebuild, call dealerships who can refer to another dealership who shows stock on hand.

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
518 Posts
My local dealership found my radiator on Ebay and gave me the listing. It came from another dealership in Ohio. I have heard of a couple of guys using other online suppliers with good results. Hopefully they will chime in.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
18,086 Posts
I called the Honda dealer here in Missoula, they referred me to the Honda dealer in Kalispell who has access to "Lightning Shipping?", Lightning something, anyway it is a database of parts available from dealerships across the country. They gave me the number for a dealer in Ohio who had 2 and one in Florida who had one. I got ahold of the dealer in Florida first, and ordered it. Shipping costs are a pain doing it that way, but no pain no gain? :LOL: That is the method I have used to get many of the parts I needed to do a top end rebuild, call dealerships who can refer to another dealership who shows stock on hand.
Just checking if you tried Cheap Cycle Parts in sou. Indiana? They had a ton of front fenders when I needed a new one.

·
Registered
18,086 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts