Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna take my first long trip in a few weeks. Got saddlebags on and a biggish sissybar luggage setup on the way. I'm sure I'll hit rain at least once during that week. Besides rain gear (bottoms/jacket) what else should I have or do in advance to prepare for the possibility of rain?:coffee:

·
Solo Rider
146 Posts
For your gear: Full Face helmet and more importantly, waterproof boots. Nothing more unpleasant than cold and wet feet.

As for the ride, well slow down and take it easy.

Have you not ridden in the rain ? If you haven't, don't get too anxious. Once the rain has washed the road, you still have pretty good traction on the road surface. You will have to adjust your speed and braking. There's lots of info around the web for rain riding skills.

·
Currently in Chrome Rehab
3,526 Posts
+1 ...slow down and as stated, its not bad after the oil scum gets washed off.
I just slow down and take corners alot easier.
Worst part of the rain for me is that Im usually on the interstate and the cages and trucks throw alot of water into the air and make it hard to see.
Dont see a windshield on your bike....
that would sure help to keep you drier and visiblility better as it would catch alot of the rain and cagers roostertails.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the windsheild on - pic just makes it invisible. I was wondering also about the leather - bags, tank bib. I guess I should beewax em or something to waterproof them. What's the best waterproofing treatment for them?

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
If you've never treated them I'd look at some products for real horse saddles they have a lot of good products for sealing your leather. A horse doesn't come with a windsheild so they have to seal them really well.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
dont forget that if it does rain, to put your hood on underneath your helmet....keeps the rain from coming in down your back!! just take your time and ride in the tire tracks...the oils are in the center of the road....so try to stay away from there, for at least the first 15 minutes......other than that, it's no big deal!!

·
Not as old as I feel...
1,442 Posts
If you don't want to buy/carry another set of boots - the waterproof ones - you can also get waterproof booties that have a sort-of durable sole, and pack a lot tighter. That's what I wear. Something else I didn't see mentioned is waterproof glove. Hands get wet fast, cold quickly, and just generally pruny on longer ride. I have yet to find a truely waterproof glove that doesn't make you sweat too, but they are still better than just plain leather, or nothing.

G26

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Try some hunting gloves with gortex thinsulate they're not perfect but very good. You could try to waterproof some leather gloves.

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
When deep fog sets in it is the same as rain! I know this riding in the fog, more then rain. Stay Dry!!!!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had my first rain (downpour) experience. That sucked. Rain gear was fine but I def need a full face - almost couldnt see.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Had my first rain (downpour) experience. That sucked. Rain gear was fine but I def need a full face - almost couldnt see.
Congratulations you now have offically gotten your water wings for the season, they are subject to renewal every year though. I agree that riding in the rain sucks, that why riders will seek shelter under any sort of cover until it breaks. A place to eat is a good place to stop and kill time and eat something or just have sometihg to drink and dry off for awhile.

·
WTF, Over!
8,344 Posts
If you don't want to buy/carry another set of boots - the waterproof ones - you can also get waterproof booties that have a sort-of durable sole, and pack a lot tighter. That's what I wear. Something else I didn't see mentioned is waterproof glove. Hands get wet fast, cold quickly, and just generally pruny on longer ride. I have yet to find a truely waterproof glove that doesn't make you sweat too, but they are still better than just plain leather, or nothing.

G26
Plus, wet leather gloves will bleed the dye onto your hands, turning them black! I found this out the first time I got caught in a rain storm

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah - my gloves turned useless. Going out today to see about a rainproof pair - also a fullface. I do have waterproof boots thank god. I think if I take care of the hands and head the ride actually wont be that bad. I think maybe Rain-X on the faceshield?

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Check to make sure the rainX won't harm your visor before you put it on. I'm not sue if it's good for plexi glass or not. Do you use it on your windsheild?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No never tried the product at all although I've heard of it. One of my students suggested it in passing and I initially thought it might be worthwhile. I don't see references to plastic for the product now that you mention it on the RainX site, although the cleaner product mentions plastic.

Has anyone tried RainX on pllastic?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I am a dedicated user of Rain X on glass. It is almost miraculous, but I don't know about plastic. Rain X is petroleum based I believe. I would be scared to use until I contacted the manufacturer, which you can probably do easily online.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
water proof riding boots are one of the best decision you will ever make / i also carry a specific water proof glove - joe rocket - cause wet leather is like yuckie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts