Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread asking for help a few weeks ago about my annoying rattling exhaust pipes. Thanks to all of you that gave suggestions, but unfortunately, none of them worked. Today I finally solved my problem and hopefully this may help some others. I put the bike up on my jack and got under it. I noticed that the exhaust pipe under my floorboard was extremely close to three small bolt heads that are located on the side of the engine case running beside the pipe. I took out the two bolts that support the muffler {back near the rear wheel} and inserted a couple of washers, forcing the pipe out a couple of millimetres. And that instantly solved the problem, except that its so quiet I think I can now hear the famous headlight rattle I keep reading about!

·
There Can Only Be One
2,730 Posts
Headlight rattle is an easy fix. Just take off the front bezel and rearrange the wires inside, utilizing both cable keepers to hold them in place. Try to keep the large connectors away from the sides of the bucket.

It could also be the infamous "speedo rattle", too.

·
Premium Member
2007 VTX 1300C
1,150 Posts
Good job finding the culprits, sharing the solution is what makes this site awesome. Thank you.
+1. In fact, I've got this real annoying vibration sound when I slow down almost to a stop and I suspect it's because my Cobra exhaust from the front cylinder is too close and rubbing the foot peg. You've given me an idea now. I'll poke around now and see if I can place a washer somewhere to move things a bit.

Thanks for sharing!

:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts