Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, now this would have been the "15 minute job" that I had read on many posts concerning changing the rear brakes on my 2006 VTX 1300... however, I wasn't as careful and observant when I pulled the caliper off and a washer fell out... I assume it has to have come from the "outside" side of the caliper possibly behind the fancy chrome cover that I think is an add on (I bought this bike used) anyway, I cannot for the life of me figure out where this washer goes and worried about spacing or throwing off an angle of the caliper or something I figured I would ask the Guru's on the forum... anyone got a service manual for a 2006 VTX 1300 R they might take a look at... phone or reply either would be much appreciated... two.four.eight-seven.zero.three-five.zero.zero.eight... thanks, Charlie:banghead:

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Just looked at the service manual, didn't see any washer, nor do I remember there being a washer when I replaced my rear brake pads.

Can you post a pic of what ya got:hmm2:

ps, you can download a service manual on the 1300 forum in the "Stickys" It is for an 03 S model but it hasn't changed much, just spoke wheels instead of solid.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lazy thanks ofr the response... yeah I just ran out and snagged it... to be honest it looks more like a spacer... almost puck-like... let me try and get a pic uploaded but to be honest I a mnot sure I know how in the forum but I will give it a shot... it is almost as big around as a nickle but nearly twice as thick...it is 20 cm around (like 27/32nds, or just a smidge under 7/8ths) with a 9 cm hole in it (11/32nds, just over 5/16ths) but it is 3 cm (nearly 1/16th) thick

alright just got the pics up there... anyone run into this when changing their brakes?

·
Registered
113 Posts
chazzman, I just changed my rear brakes a couple of weeks ago when I installed the new pipes ( figured it was a good time to do it while they were off). I have a 2006 1300C, never saw any washers on mine, may have been spacers to hold the chrome covers off the caliper. Only problem I had was the 2 thin metal plates that match the shape of the pads. New pads would not go back on with them in place, so I removed them. No problems with brakes working.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
beuler... beuler... anyone?

hey thanks Drummer... man I just don't know... maybe just "extra parts" LOL... just makes me nervous knowing that it was on there... but hey maybe that's why my ouside brake pad was trashed and the inside not bad at all... I will give everything a good trial I guess and see how it goes

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I assume it has to have come from the "outside" side of the caliper possibly behind the fancy chrome cover that I think is an add on
I'd bet it was between the caliper and the chrome cover you mentioned, my guess is the cover didn't fit perfectly or it rattled so they put the washer behind it to shim it up. I've had mine apart and there's no washers like that from the factory on it.

P.S. Be sure to grease up the slide bolt, that being dry is why one pad will wear out & the other would still be good. With that pin dry the caliper can't self adjust as needed as the pads wear, you'd also lose some of your braking force because your only stopping with one pad.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Pete's Patrs Moto: Every good mechanic has a couple parts left over. That way all the lard cans on the shlef don't fell empty.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
chazzman, I just changed my rear brakes a couple of weeks ago when I installed the new pipes ( figured it was a good time to do it while they were off). I have a 2006 1300C, never saw any washers on mine, may have been spacers to hold the chrome covers off the caliper. Only problem I had was the 2 thin metal plates that match the shape of the pads. New pads would not go back on with them in place, so I removed them. No problems with brakes working.
Did you push the caliper piston back in? If not that's why the anti-squeal plates wouldn't fit with the pads.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Looks like a banjo seal. That's the only place something like that is used on the calipers. If you didn't take the hose off, it has to be part of the cover.

Did you push the caliper piston back in? If not that's why the anti-squeal plates wouldn't fit with the pads.
Exactly. They're shims to help prevent sqealing. The brakes will work without them, but they may be noisy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts