Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to removing that god-awful bracket and mongo turn signals.

I started by getting the bike up on a jack and cutting off the bracket. A dremel tool, 3 cut off wheels and about 30 minutes later (not bad at all, I expected to go through many more), the bracket was off. I painted (with a brush, do not spray) some black primer on the bare cuts to prevent rust.

A buddy with all the metal tools you could imagine helped me make a license plate bracket. I couldn't bring myself to pay $100+ for one. I went to the local steel mill and got a piece of 10ga scrap. Most mills will give scraps if they have any laying around.

After priming and painting the bracket, it mounted to the lower shock bolt on the left side. I picked up a pair of license plate led mounting bolts wired these up to the original wires close up to the fusebox under the right side panel. This area still needs a bit of clean-up to mask the wires a bit more.

I was torn as to which turn signals to go with. NC doesn't require turn signals if you want to use hand-signals. Which I don't want to do, so I found some small enough to suit my taste while still giving some sort of signal. These come with some hollow bolts, but are too big for the mounting hole on the fender strut where I wanted to mount, so I had to order the Kuryakyn hollow mounting bolts from CruiserCustomizing.com. These were a simple install. Wired to the original wires cut from the stock signals.

These say "Not intended for use as running lights, they will melt" and "Not DOT approved". I'm not using them as runners, just signals, and as I said, not required in NC, so check your States laws before you use.

That was basically it. Now I just need to replace the front signals with a matching pair.

Here's a few pics of the final result.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
a job well done.......here's to you my friend...:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts