Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
red rider
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did a search and didnt find what i needed, tryng to figure out how to remove the rear fender(taking it off for custom work) do you just take the 3 bolts out of each side on the struts? is there a plug for the wires? Any help id appreciated. Thanks, Mike

·
Chrome Addict
287 Posts
did a search and didnt find what i needed, tryng to figure out how to remove the rear fender(taking it off for custom work) do you just take the 3 bolts out of each side on the struts? is there a plug for the wires? Any help id appreciated. Thanks, Mike

I'd like to know as well...
Anyone?

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
Unplug the wiring harness between fender and right side chrome cover. Your have to remove the cover to get at it well. take off seats. Then one shock. Then one side of the fender bolts. You can then take off the fender. All wires are under tabs. Easy in out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I took mine off using the pages in the service manual.

Download the manual and print pages 1-30 for the wire routing inside the fendor.

Section 2 is the Body parts. 2-5 is the rear fender.

I highly suggest reading the whole thing so you can be familiar with most of the parts.

The last time I downloaded the manual it was at:
http://s2.quicksharing.com/v/3502916/VTX1300S.pdf.html

It seams to have been deleted, so search the forum for a new link.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have been leery about taking the shock off. Is it easy to get back on?

My rear fender came off without removing a shock (I am having it repainted) but I had to force it off and I am afraid of scratching the new paint trying to put it back on.

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
Jack up the bike, get the rear tire off the ground. The shock will come off easily, just kind of twist it back and forth to get it moving.

While you're at it, you can replace shocks!

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
If you don't have a jack straddle the back end and lift just a little bit, have somebody else put the shock on. Piece of cake with 4 hands.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I really had to force the rear fender off and left some minor scratches in the clear coat (I was taking it off to repaint anyway). I didn't want to scratch the new paint putting it back on, so they recommended removing 1 rear shock to make install easier. I get the fender back tomorrow and I will let you know if it's easier.

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
I really had to force the rear fender off and left some minor scratches in the clear coat (I was taking it off to repaint anyway). I didn't want to scratch the new paint putting it back on, so they recommended removing 1 rear shock to make install easier. I get the fender back tomorrow and I will let you know if it's easier.
You absolutely have to take a shock off. Plus the chrome piece that extends out by the rear fender. It will be so much easier for you. Trust me, as one who has been there and scratched that. :(

·
Registered
448 Posts
LOL, actually I got the bike on the jack, just loosened both rear shocks to be able to move the chrome pieces out a bit to avoid scratching the paint. Worked like a charm until I realized I had put the rear fender above the mounting holes. So, I went to move it down without taking it completely out of the frame and DOH!, scratched the the $470 tri-coat paint job anyway! I just had the front fender, side covers and rear fender repainted and my helmet painted to match the bike, oh well.....

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
LOL, actually I got the bike on the jack, just loosened both rear shocks to be able to move the chrome pieces out a bit to avoid scratching the paint. Worked like a charm until I realized I had put the rear fender above the mounting holes. So, I went to move it down without taking it completely out of the frame and DOH!, scratched the the $470 tri-coat paint job anyway! I just had the front fender, side covers and rear fender repainted and my helmet painted to match the bike, oh well.....
Well my "DOH" cost me the price of a bottle of touch up paint. :harder:Can't even see the scratches now. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts