Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Traveler
2,647 Posts
On my return trip from the east coast I was about 30 miles west of mitchell SD around 2 pm and my bike started swimming under me. I was traveling west on the eastbound side of I-90 thruogh a costruction zone, at first I thought it was the road so I slowed down and it straightened out so I got back in it and it started swimming again, now I knew I had a problem so I started slowing down to get off the road as far as I could not much shoulder here and the slower I got the harder it was to control the bike, I thought this is like riding a shark turning into a whale. I kept it up and got off into the grass only about five feet from the white line, not knowing if I would sink if I went down any farther into the median, I could not put my kickstand down as the bike was too low. I called Honda Roadside assistance and after about 45 mins they called me back and said they had found a tow truck but he was on another tow and would be about another 45 mins, so I sat there for over 2 hrs before a guy shows up, in a ford ranger, as they did not have flat bed. This turns into a royal PITA finally after a couple of hrs wrestling this we built a ramp out of sod and the help of one of his friends we got the bike into the truck.WHEW what a relief I thought. We are headed back to town and the tranny goes out of the truck. Now we have to call the tow truck, so finally aroud 630 we arrive at the honda shop in the wrecker towing the pickup with my bike in the back
View attachment 7847

View attachment 7848

View attachment 7849
The manager gave me a ride to a motel and picked me up the neat morning and I got a new tire and was back on the road 21 hrs after this whole thing started.

·
9,160 Posts
Glad to hear everything turned out ok. I think I'd be having a discussion with Honda Roadside assistance though. If they don't have any better network than that I'd look elsewhere. :mad:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION....This happened in SD! The main thing is no one was hurt and the bike was recovered. + 1 on the pictures! Glad you made it through it ok....and who's idea was it to use sod to build a ramp and where did it come from? I also see the ARMY Award in your bio.....over come and adapt and you did!

·
thanks for a great site
1,706 Posts
all in all it sounds like the same way our goverment is being run. what a great story. im sure ya had to have a laff if nothing else. i know i woulda. sounds like ya kept your head about ya though.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
all in all it sounds like the same way our goverment is being run. what a great story. im sure ya had to have a laff if nothing else. i know i woulda. sounds like ya kept your head about ya though.

I have to disagree. In SD they seem to make do with what they got, according to the photos and description given.:D Our Government can't even make do with what they got, or don't have, they have to lend, borrow, beg and rip off the American Citizens as a feable attempt to make ends meet.:nope:

Glad you are okay and everything worked out, eventually. :patriot:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
An inconvenient and frustrating experience for sure, but you know what? 20 years from now this part of the trip will still be one of the most remembered. It is part of what riding is all about. Meeting the challenges of the road and overcoming. It gives you something very valuable....rider experience. Glad it ended well.

·
Traveler
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my return trip from the east coast I was about 30 miles west of mitchell SD around 2 pm and my bike started swimming under me. I was traveling west on the eastbound side of I-90 thruogh a costruction zone, at first I thought it was the road so I slowed down and it straightened out so I got back in it and it started swimming again, now I knew I had a problem so I started slowing down to get off the road as far as I could not much shoulder here and the slower I got the harder it was to control the bike, I thought this is like riding a shark turning into a whale. I kept it up and got off into the grass only about five feet from the white line, not knowing if I would sink if I went down any farther into the median, I could not put my kickstand down as the bike was too low. I called Honda Roadside assistance and after about 45 mins they called me back and said they had found a tow truck but he was on another tow and would be about another 45 mins, so I sat there for over 2 hrs before a guy shows up, in a ford ranger, as they did not have flat bed. This turns into a royal PITA finally after a couple of hrs wrestling this we built a ramp out of sod and the help of one of his friends we got the bike into the truck.WHEW what a relief I thought. We are headed back to town and the tranny goes out of the truck. Now we have to call the tow truck, so finally aroud 630 we arrive at the honda shop in the wrecker towing the pickup with my bike in the back View attachment 7847

View attachment 7848

View attachment 7849 The manager gave me a ride to a motel and picked me up the neat morning and I got a new tire and was back on the road 21 hrs after this whole thing started.
You gotta be chiting me. I'm surprised the tow truck didn't break down.
Yeah, bout he only thing left to go wrong
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION....This happened in SD! The main thing is no one was hurt and the bike was recovered. + 1 on the pictures! Glad you made it through it ok....and who's idea was it to use sod to build a ramp and where did it come from? I also see the ARMY Award in your bio.....over come and adapt and you did!
This was a construction zone and the sod was from the medain we had positioned the truck a couple different times to get the least angle but the bike is not easy to move with a flat but you gotta make do with what you got
Well you only had 2 options, laugh or cry.
Gotta laugh, its an instant vacation
I had to get my tire fixed so I could get back on the road
I have to disagree. In SD they seem to make do with what they got, according to the photos and description given.:D Our Government can't even make do with what they got, or don't have, they have to lend, borrow, beg and rip off the American Citizens as a feable attempt to make ends meet.:nope:

Glad you are okay and everything worked out, eventually. :patriot:
Was definatley a long day
Glad to hear everything turned out ok. I think I'd be having a discussion with Honda Roadside assistance though. If they don't have any better network than that I'd look elsewhere. :mad:
Never had to use them before could've been different somewher else

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
And I just asked in the other post if you had any problems! Glad to hear that everything worked out for you in the end.
Did you ever find out what caused the tire to go flat?

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
Well at least you made it though all this.:mosh:

·
Liberal Peace-Lover
1,064 Posts
Lucky it was just a flat and you could power the bike into the truck bed- I helped a friend with a dead FJR (electrical issue) a few months ago and he and I had to deadlift the front end and back end into my pickup (on 33"s with a 4" lift). We tried the ramp but it was too unstable with no power pushing it up the thing, so we wound up lifting the 550lb thing straight up into it while two TXDOT Roadside guys looked on (can't lift anything, we are prohibited)

I found out the next day that it didn't have an electrical issue at all, he'd been drinking too much, pulled off to take a nature break, and the Roadside guys pulled up- followed shortly by local PD. It was obvious he'd been drinking, so the PD was hanging around waiting for the word he'd ridden off drunk to DUI him. Not much fun for me ;-)

·
Traveler
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And I just asked in the other post if you had any problems! Glad to hear that everything worked out for you in the end.
Did you ever find out what caused the tire to go flat?
There was a hole in the center tread looked like from a nail, but my running on it had caused separation :(

Lucky it was just a flat and you could power the bike into the truck bed- I helped a friend with a dead FJR (electrical issue) a few months ago and he and I had to deadlift the front end and back end into my pickup (on 33"s with a 4" lift). We tried the ramp but it was too unstable with no power pushing it up the thing, so we wound up lifting the 550lb thing straight up into it while two TXDOT Roadside guys looked on (can't lift anything, we are prohibited)

I found out the next day that it didn't have an electrical issue at all, he'd been drinking too much, pulled off to take a nature break, and the Roadside guys pulled up- followed shortly by local PD. It was obvious he'd been drinking, so the PD was hanging around waiting for the word he'd ridden off drunk to DUI him. Not much fun for me ;-)
I'm sure it wasn't much fun, but a good friend you are!!:cheers:

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
I suppose you can be happy it wasn't an 800 pound 1800...

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Yep,,, Flats are no fun,,,

Been there, done that about a month ago. I was riding 2-up. No accident, but I'm $400.00 'lighter' after the tow bill! (well, at least for $400 we got a flatbed wrecker w/winch,,, no A/C, but it got us home! hehehehhehheh!)

Very frustrating, but like Bear sez, 'laugh or cry',,,

At least ya didn't go down, and you and the X will be 'good to go' with just a new rear tire,,,,

Speaking of rear tires,,,,

Have you ever contemplated,,,,,,

(see below) :stirpot:

·
Traveler
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep,,, Flats are no fun,,,

Been there, done that about a month ago. I was riding 2-up. No accident, but I'm $400.00 'lighter' after the tow bill! (well, at least for $400 we got a flatbed wrecker w/winch,,, no A/C, but it got us home! hehehehhehheh!)

Very frustrating, but like Bear sez, 'laugh or cry',,,

At least ya didn't go down, and you and the X will be 'good to go' with just a new rear tire,,,,

Speaking of rear tires,,,,

Have you ever contemplated,,,,,,

(see below) :stirpot:
Yes, I have but, I think I will stay with the cycle tire

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Nothing wrong with that!!!

Differnt strokes for different folks!

I thought about a CT about 9,000 miles ago, back before I bought the last set of MT's,,,

Finally went ahead and did it after my last rear MT seperated,,,

I hosed water all over that sucker, including the stem and I also checked the schrader valve,,,, no holes anywhere except a crack where the belts seperated. In a way, I really wished that I would have found a nail hole, a piece of wire, or ANYTHING that would have explained why the belts let loose,,, Nope, nada.

I really think that my 'lost faith' in high $$$ MT's' (Avon Cobra) had a lot to do with me going Darkside. (I also pulled the front Cobra, and replaced it with a Metz) :choppersm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts