Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a lot of trouble re installing the shocks after changing the bushings. Bike is jacked up and changing one at at time. Working on the left side and can't get the shock back on. Help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
Put the bike on a stand and then use the jack to raise or lower the rear wheel slightly to adjust the position of the lower shock post. Be careful while doing this NOT to tip the entire bike and thus lift the bike partly off the stand.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put the bike on a stand and then use the jack to raise or lower the rear wheel slightly to adjust the position of the lower shock post. Be careful while doing this NOT to tip the entire bike and thus lift the bike partly off the stand.
Thank you. It only seems to be off about 1/32 or 1/16 of an inch.

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
Then pound it on with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,721 Posts
Lots of things go on easier with a little lube :eek: Advance Auto sells little packs (at the register) of rubber boot lube o_O If the shocks are adjustable - a little movement might help it line up ;)
Could take this a little sideways but I'll pass :love:

·
FREEBIRD
7,909 Posts
Lol, well this conversation took an unexpected turn. :LOL:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having a lot of trouble re installing the shocks after changing the bushings. Bike is jacked up and changing one at at time. Working on the left side and can't get the shock back on. Help would be really appreciated. Thanks.
May I ask what your millage was when you needed replacement and what were the signs?

·
Registered
329 Posts
May I ask what your millage was when you needed replacement and what were the signs?
The OP will have to answer the mileage question for his bike but, I changed bushings on my stock shocks probably 15k into owning the bike. The definite sign is the bolt holding on the shock is no longer in the center of the shock mount.

I now have Progressive 444 shocks and they are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
Violence is never the answer. Talk with the shock and seek to understand it’s hesitancy to cooperate. Find common ground and develop a plan than you can both feel comfortable moving forward.
I offer the following from the novel Starship Troopers written by Heinlein :)

"Anyone who clings to the historically untrue -- and thoroughly immoral -- doctrine that 'violence never solves anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

- Lt. Col. Jean V. Dubois

·
Registered
329 Posts
I offer the following from the novel Starship Troopers written by Heinlein :)

"Anyone who clings to the historically untrue -- and thoroughly immoral -- doctrine that 'violence never solves anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

- Lt. Col. Jean V. Dubois
Just having some fun. I have solved many issues with the proper application of hammer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did you get your shocks back on?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts