Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i know its probly been on here b4 just cant find anything on the rear shocks. I want to go with progressive but there is like 5 different types for the vtx 1300r . Being 6ft and 240lbs what shocks would be best? also carry luggage abit and also my lady rides at times. So i need something that will be nice for solo riding and extra baggage and would the heavy duty shock be to stiff? plz help :banghead:

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
The 412 HD or the 440 HD (heavy duty, not Harley Davidson). Most folks find the 412 to be a good replacement shock with improved performance for about half the price of the 440, which is a higher performance shock. Other opinions may differ.

Rebel

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
ive read a lot of posts complaining about the progressive HD shocks being very uncomfortable. I put on a used pair of 1800vtx shocks and mcmaster bushings on my 1300 and the ride has been as good as it gets for me, i have a few thousand miles on bike since doing this, and i use the stock seat. I dont see the need for high performance shocks on a cruiser,, would rather spend that couple of hundred bucks on other things for the bike. But thats my opinion, just one of many. Bry

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i like the stock ones, been running them for over 75k
I just put 1800 shock on a few months ago
A he!! of alot cheaper and they are good shocks.

At least honda did something right.
Except the bushings.

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
I run the 412 HD. When I got them I was around 280 and rode 2Up a bunch. I never thought the HD shocks were too stiff, better ride all around for me. At your size and since you frequently have extra weight (luggage/passengers) I would recommend the HD version of whichever shock you go with.

I will say this, my Progressive Front Fork Springs provided a MUCH MUCH more noticeable handling improvement though and they only run around $75

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just put on a pair of 440 HD's I am 6' 2" and about 225 I ride 2 up a-lot. The stockers were just too soft with the bags and all the stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts