Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
There Can Only Be One
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who aren't over on the "What have you done to your 1300 today?" thread, I was the victim of a hit-n-run on 4/15/19 while on my way home. A young lady was behind me in stop-n-go traffic and all of a sudden I'm looking at the sky and the bike is going down. When I got up, she started driving around me in the grass behind me and had her window down. She asked me if I was okay but kept on driving and turned down a side street and was gone. The lady behind her took off after her and was able to get a picture of the car & plate, and she came back and waited with me for the police to arrive. The officer ran the plate and said it was a white Lexus, but it was definitely a dark blue or black Lexus. He said she probably had no license and no insurance. He gave me a case number and told me the report would be available in 10 days, and I was able to ride the bike home.

All I got was a very small scrape on my right knee, but the bike suffered the most damage. My initial assessment of the damage included:

1. The right saddlebag (where she hit me), but it may be salvageable due to being fiberglass. If it's not, I'll switch to something else.
2. The cat eye turn signal light on the right saddlebag was scuffed and will need to be replaced.
3. When the bike went over on its right, the fairing took the brunt of the fall and it's cracked pretty much completely in half with chunks missing.
4. The rear brake lever is bent but still functions (may be able to heat it and bend it back into place).
5. The right mirror stem bolt was snapped in half, but the mirror itself was fine.

Side story...

These are the Rivco turn signal mirrors I had just put on late last year after I was sideswiped by another driver in a pickup who took off. I chased him down and was about to lay into him, but when I got off the bike and looked at the bike, nothing was damaged and the left mirror arm was just bent in, like it was being unscrewed. Only a few days later when I went to adjust my left mirror and it popped off the stem did I realize the damage. So I bought the Rivco mirrors to replace the Kury turn signal mirrors and just spliced them in.

6. There is a small scrape on the lip of the front fender, so it will get repainted.
7. The right Dooley muffler and the lower head pipe heat shield have small scratches on them, so they will get re-chromed.
8. The tank has a small dent in it, and it will be repaired.
9. The right foot peg mount has two scratches on it, so it will get re-chromed.
10. My helmet got scratched, so it will be replaced.

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5632.JPG

IMG_5633.JPG

IMG_5658.JPG

IMG_5659.JPG

IMG_5662.JPG

IMG_5663.JPG

IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

So that night, my wife asked me to get the picture from the lady who went after the lady who hit me, and she sent it to me via text. My wife immediately got onto Facebook and composed/posted a synopsis of what had happened, and then I posted it and it started getting shared pretty quickly among our friends. When I got up the next morning and was about to leave for work, I received a message via FB Messenger from a guy who wished to remain anonymous, and he said he thinks the car and driver match the description of a car that is close to where he lives. He didn't know the house number but told me the street and how many houses away it was from a landmark on one side of the street. So I left and went by the house, but the car wasn't there. I went ahead to work, and a couple of hours later, the guy calls me and said he had just gone by the house and the car was there. So I got on the phone with the Sheriff's office, and they dispatched the same Magnolia officer who came to the scene the day before. He called me about 30 minutes later and had her in custody and was taking her to jail. Turns out she had an outstanding warrant for possession of marijuana in another county south of Houston. He said when he searched the car, the pot smell was overwhelming, so she was probably high when she hit me the day before. I told him to add my charges to the rap sheet, too.

I called my insurance company (Progressive) and filed an uninsured motorist claim with them just to get the ball rolling. I learned a few years back that I should add coverage for all of my add-ons that I've added to the bike, and I'm thankful I did. The adjuster came out the next Monday (22nd) and we went over the bike together so I could show her what all was damaged. I also told her that I would be tearing down the bike further to see if any other hidden damage occurred. She emailed me the estimate literally 30 minutes after she left, and I was pleasantly surprised with the total of $5544.73.

I began compiling a list of stuff to repair/customize and got on the horn with several companies to be sure parts were available. I found out that the Xtreme Revolution Ultra fairing was in fact still being made by Paul at Phat Parts (they call it the Xtreme Parts Ultra fairing now). I also contacted Bryan at BD's Cycles to discuss with him his charges to do the body/paint work. I also contacted Glenn Woods at Woody's Fairings to inquire about his fairings, because Bryan recommended going with his fairing over the Xtreme one. But I love the way the Xtreme fairing fits and looks on the bike, so I'm about 99% sure I'll be going with it again. And it will be a nice upgrade because mine was the plastic version, but they're only made in fiberglass now.

So this evening I began tearing down the bike. I didn't get too far into it, because there was one thing that I've been wanting to do for quite awhile and figured now would be the best time to get it done. Ever since I put the Roadhouse Dooleys on the bike, I've scraped the bottom of the mufflers and the tips. I like getting deep into the turns, and they hang way too low to be able to have that much fun. Last year in March, Tom (sumdatx) sent me an offset pipe that he had made to raise his Roadhouse 2-into-1 muffler and no longer needed. So I got to work tonight to put it on the right side of the bike to see how well it's going to work. It definitely raised the muffler right where I want it, but the rear mounts on the Dooley muffler are very close to the axle nut. I'm not sure I'll have enough room to put a bracket (plus the bolts) in between there and NOT have them hit the axle nut. The beauty of this offset piece is that it can be rotated out, but that will also lower the muffler. So I'll work on it some more and see what I can do.

This is before adding the offset

IMG_5758.JPG

And with the offset

IMG_5861.JPG

Rear view

IMG_5854.JPG

IMG_5855.JPG

I'm not sure whether I like the length of the muffler...I'll wait for the final verdict once I get another offset made for the left side and can have them on together. It may grown on me. I do have my original short Dooley mufflers with the cadillac tips, so if I want to shorten the length, that will be easy to do.

Space between the muffler mounts and the axle nut (or the Kury swing arm cover).

IMG_5863.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

I also spent some time trying to separate the left muffler from the left head pipe...suckers are really stuck together well. I tried using my heat gun (1000-degree setting) to heat it up for about 7-8 minutes, but I still couldn't get the muffler to budge. I may have to take it somewhere to get the pros to get it apart...or maybe the small propane torch my wife has.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Looking good, happy you wasn't injuryed any worse than you was. :patriot:

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,553 Posts
I gave this thread a 'five stars rating' based on Jason's first post alone! Coming from him, you know it's gonna be a good one. (TWSS!) :icon_chee

·
There Can Only Be One
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man that sucks an hope they find her an glade ur ok an they bike is rebildable an not a total loss
They got her the day after it happened, and the bike will be fixed up...ain't no way they're totaling MR VTX's VTX. :icon_mrgr

I gave this thread a 'five stars rating' based on Jason's first post alone! Coming from him, you know it's gonna be a good one. (TWSS!) :icon_chee
Laser Approved.jpg

Off to a good start Jason. And am happy to see you're trying to use the off-set for your mufflers. I agree with Brother Mark: gonna be a 5 star repair/rebuild thread from a 5 star Brother Jason ...
:americanflag::icon_mrgreen::canflag2:
Thanks Tom. I really appreciate that piece you sent. Mulling it over some more while I was working on the bike today, I think I'm going to raise the mufflers maybe another inch or so and also turn out the offsets so I can gain some more clearance for the rear hanger brackets and bolts. Maybe I should take this opportunity to start learning how to weld...sure would be easier to do it myself and tweak it while right next to the bike vs. having someone else do it and having to go back-and-forth to make adjustments. Or maybe there are mobile welders out there that could do this. :hmm2:

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I had a simple plan when I got it made: cut the 180* bend in half, turn the pipe ends, TIG weld together. It's stainless too. A good friend called in a favor for me and got a young up-and-coming TIG welder that does custom exhaust work for racing teams to do this. Near perfect and beautiful TIG work.
I didn't have very good luck getting a chrome cover that fit worth a hoot. Thought about getting some oversized exhaust pipe, bending it to smaller pipe contours at an exhaust place, cutting it half, welding some (2) tabs inside for hose clamps, adjust/fine tune the fit and then get it chromed. Making chrome covers for custom exhaust is, well, exhausting :doh:
:patriot:

·
11,553 Posts
...Making chrome covers for custom exhaust is, well, exhausting :doh:
Oh no you DI'NT! :47b20s0: :glee: 50 'Laser Pun Points' given!

Where's Dave (Sylvanus Pilot) when ya need a new stamp photo-shopped from a picture of yerself??? :doh:

·
There Can Only Be One
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a simple plan when I got it made: cut the 180* bend in half, turn the pipe ends, TIG weld together. It's stainless too. A good friend called in a favor for me and got a young up-and-coming TIG welder that does custom exhaust work for racing teams to do this. Near perfect and beautiful TIG work.
I didn't have very good luck getting a chrome cover that fit worth a hoot. Thought about getting some oversized exhaust pipe, bending it to smaller pipe contours at an exhaust place, cutting it half, welding some (2) tabs inside for hose clamps, adjust/fine tune the fit and then get it chromed. Making chrome covers for custom exhaust is, well, exhausting :doh:
Yeah, the weld on this thing looks amazing. I forgot that it was stainless...I'll have to source some good stainless pipe for this project. Since I'm going to have to re-chrome the heat shields on the right, I thought about just getting the same type of metal and simply welding an extension on. This will make it a full one-piece shield that I can hopefully bend to follow the offset up to the muffler. If I can do it for the right, obviously I'll do the same on the left and get the left re-chromed as well.

:idea:

Not sure if y'all know/remember pepsX (the guy who makes the stands), but he was the one who made my rear fender and filler panels. Maybe I can schmooze him into a mobile visit with his welder and have him do the work here?!?

Time to search the 'Net & YouTube for how to make some exhaust heat shields.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I measured the end of the pipe before it goes into the muffler. Found the tightest u-bend (mandrel bent) I could find of that size -- Summit Racing. I believe it ended up raising the muffler a little more than a pipe width. Was perfect and never drug the muffler again, UNTIL: a 6* rake kit came along and I had to lower the rear 1" plus the angle of the front lowered it a tiny bit more. Once cut to length, I took it to a muffler shop and had the front CAREFULLY stretched just enough to fit over the header pipe/union of the 2 headers. Always felt I cut it a 1/2 inch too much -- had some issues with it staying tight. Cut some slits in it that helped clamp it tighter.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I measured the end of the pipe before it goes into the muffler. Found the tightest u-bend (mandrel bent) I could find of that size -- Summit Racing. I believe it ended up raising the muffler a little more than a pipe width. Was perfect and never drug the muffler again, UNTIL: a 6* rake kit came along and I had to lower the rear 1" plus the angle of the front lowered it a tiny bit more. Once cut to length, I took it to a muffler shop and had the front CAREFULLY stretched just enough to fit over the header pipe/union of the 2 headers. Always felt I cut it a 1/2 inch too much -- had some issues with it staying tight. Cut some slits in it that helped clamp it tighter.
Earlier today, I went back to your posts in the "What did you do..." thread and found your comments/pics on where you got it, the specs and how it looked on your bike. Those have now proved invaluable to me...thanks again for YOUR detail on your mods. I found it still available on Summit Racing's website.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2622/overview/

They also have one that has a 2.625" bend radius, so I may get two of those. That would raise it 7/8" for even more clearance, and I still should be able to get to the muffler mounting brackets. I'll just have to order them, get them cut/welded/flared to match the one you sent me and then come home and try them out. If I go with the extra 7/8" ones, I can turn them out slightly to gain some more clearance for the mounts/bolts without sacrificing height.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2696/overview/

·
FREEBIRD
7,301 Posts
Shame about the wreck, but looking forward to this rebuild, Jason. I'm sure it will come out even better than it was, considering your attention to detail. You know the drill...post lots of pics.

·
11,553 Posts
Shame about the wreck, but looking forward to this rebuild, Jason. I'm sure it will come out even better than it was, considering your attention to detail. You know the drill...post lots of pics.
:tapfoot: :tapfoot: Like as if that needed to be said to this guy! :spank: :spank:

:bleh: :icon_chee

·
There Can Only Be One
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm mulling over this heat shield idea...hopefully I'm thinking through this correctly. The new stainless steel offsets (assuming they'll work for my application) are 2.625" (2-5/8") center line radius (CLR), which will stay the same when they are cut, flipped and welded back together. I measured my existing Dooley heat shield's O.D. and thickness, and it comes in at 2-1/4" and is 16-gauge (.0625"). I was thinking that I should just buy the same U-shape mandrel bent tubing I bought for the offsets, but get the 2-1/4" O.D. size and get it in mild steel. So back to Google I went...looking for 16-gauge mild steel U-shape mandrel bent tubing in 2-1/4" O.D....problem is I can't find it with the same 2.625" CLR. Must be due to the larger diameter of the tubing. I did find 2-1/4" with a 3.00" CLR, which I think will work. It will get the same cut/flip/weld treatment as the offsets, and will then be cut out in the back to go over the offsets. Since it's a 3" radius, it's slightly larger than the offsets, but I'm thinking I can just bend them by hand to get the radius a little tighter. Right?!?

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
I'm mulling over this heat shield idea...hopefully I'm thinking through this correctly. The new stainless steel offsets (assuming they'll work for my application) are 2.625" (2-5/8") center line radius (CLR), which will stay the same when they are cut, flipped and welded back together. I measured my existing Dooley heat shield's O.D. and thickness, and it comes in at 2-1/4" and is 16-gauge (.0625"). I was thinking that I should just buy the same U-shape mandrel bent tubing I bought for the offsets, but get the 2-1/4" O.D. size and get it in mild steel. So back to Google I went...looking for 16-gauge mild steel U-shape mandrel bent tubing in 2-1/4" O.D....problem is I can't find it with the same 2.625" CLR. Must be due to the larger diameter of the tubing. I did find 2-1/4" with a 3.00" CLR, which I think will work. It will get the same cut/flip/weld treatment as the offsets, and will then be cut out in the back to go over the offsets. Since it's a 3" radius, it's slightly larger than the offsets, but I'm thinking I can just bend them by hand to get the radius a little tighter. Right?!?

Jason, looking at the length of the pipe after the bends, it looks like you could shorten the pipe tails after the end of the bends and still have room to slot the pipes to help with the clamping and end up with the mufflers not sticking out quite so far, but this from a electrical pipe bending electrician, course it is kind of hard to tell from a picture. Just a thought!!!!

·
There Can Only Be One
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jason, looking at the length of the pipe after the bends, it looks like you could shorten the pipe tails after the end of the bends and still have room to slot the pipes to help with the clamping and end up with the mufflers not sticking out quite so far, but this from a electrical pipe bending electrician, course it is kind of hard to tell from a picture. Just a thought!!!!
That is a good idea...I think I can shorten them some by doing that. Thanks!

I put the offset on the left side today after I finally got the left head pipe and muffler unstuck from each other. I used my heat gun to heat up the muffler's flange nice and hot, sprayed some Freeze-Off on the head pipe close to the flange, quickly grabbed my big channel lock pliers and was able to rotate the muffler and get it off. Whew!

The extended length of the mufflers is kind of growing on me. :icon_mrgr I also rotated the tips to different positions...kind of like them pointing out.

IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5906.JPG

·
There Can Only Be One
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the Xtreme Ultra fairing ordered today...4 weeks until it arrives, hopefully. In the mean time, this puppy found its way into the truck and came home with me today! :icon_mrgr Sure will make working on the bike MUCH easier on my back. :47b20s0: Guy used it maybe 2-3 times, so it was like buying it from Harbor Freight and getting free shipping. Best $300 I've spent in a long time.

IMG_5911[1].JPG

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
About this Discussion
137 Replies
21 Participants
sumdatx
Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum
VTX Cafe Forum is for owners of Honda VTX 1300 or VTX 1800. Join this community to discuss mods, specs, parts & more!
Full Forum Listing