Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
WTF, Over!
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this at Xtreme Revolution, when I went there to check status of an order I placed:

April 03, 2008
Proud owner of a new Honda v-twin? Best check the year of the model.Honda has just issued a recall of 2006 and 2007 VT600s and 2007 to 2008 VT750 and VTX1300 motorcycles because of a fire hazard in the fuel delivery system - an improperly manufactured fuel control valve diaphragm that could leak and potentially cause a fire.
According to a warning issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), "the fuel control valve diaphragm and the fuel valve may drip fuel. In the presence of an ignition source, dripping fuel poses the risk of fire."
The recall will affect 39,000 VT600s, VLXs and VTX1300s and apparently all 750 V-twins designated '07 or '08 models. Honda dealers will replace the fuel control valve diaphragm assembly free of charge when the recall officially begins, on April 10.
Consumers may contact Honda at 1-866-784-1870 or the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or view more info at http://safercar.govor consumeraffairs.com

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew who could be affected.

Ride Safe
-Beastie Boy

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Going to see if mine is on the list. I have not heard of this happening to anyone. Anybody else heard?

Dave:patriot:

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
Yes it is true I see Honda is taking there time notifing us!:patriot:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 1300c vtx in the shop know for a tire problemand they told me they were going to take care of the problem on my bike. they said it was the pit cock, fuel shut of switch from what i understood.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Make : HONDA Model : VTX1300Year : 2008Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)Mfr's Report Date : MAR 25, 2008NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08V141000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERYPotential Number Of Units Affected : 38934Summary:
HONDA IS RECALLING 38,934 MY 2006-2007 VT600 AND MY 2007-2008 VT750 AND VTX1300 MOTORCYCLES. THE MOTORCYCLES MAY HAVE AN IMPROPERLY MANUFACTURED FUEL CONTROL VALVE DIAPHRAGM AND THE FUEL VALVE MAY DRIP FUEL.Consequence:
IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, DRIPPING FUEL POSES THE RISK OF FIRE.Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL CONTROL VALVE DIAPHRAGM ASSEMBLY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT APRIL 10, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-866-784-1870. Notes:
HONDA RECALL NO. Q75. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Called the number listed and I was told only 07 and 08's are affected.
Checked my 06 anyway and was in the clear.

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
Called the number listed and I was told only 07 and 08's are affected.
Checked my 06 anyway and was in the clear.
Thanks ruger for doing that. Saved me the trouble. :cheers:

Dave:patriot:

·
Registered
509 Posts
My '06 is good too.

·
Maddie
465 Posts
EEEK guess i better make the call and set up a date to bring her in....

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you haven't had this taken care of yet I would suggest you reach out to your dealer about it. I went in for some routine work on my X this past Saturday. After they finished up I was going to go for a short ride. As I got out on the open road about 25 miles from the shop I started to smell gas. I started looking around the engine area and my fuel valve was dripping gas. Ran back to the shop and they took care of me on the spot and had me back on the road in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had mine done about a month ago.....seemed harmless enough and it only took the dealer about an hour.....I work on the road alot so I gave them time to get the parts together first and made an appointment....It went pretty smooth....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Call the dealer first to make sure they have the replacements on hand. Most of them have a few in already. They'll do it while you wait, no questions asked, no charge. They didn't even ask for the letter.
P

·
?WHO?Z9
296 Posts
I had mine done about a month ago.....seemed harmless enough and it only took the dealer about an hour.....I work on the road alot so I gave them time to get the parts together first and made an appointment....It went pretty smooth....
All finished. Took about a week and a half for them to order part. Just around an hour to do the work.

Glad it's all taking care of. Peace of mind is nice.

·
Apprentice Master Member
48 Posts
I just saw this at Xtreme Revolution, when I went there to check status of an order I placed:

April 03, 2008
Proud owner of a new Honda v-twin? Best check the year of the model.Honda has just issued a recall of 2006 and 2007 VT600s and 2007 to 2008 VT750 and VTX1300 motorcycles because of a fire hazard in the fuel delivery system - an improperly manufactured fuel control valve diaphragm that could leak and potentially cause a fire.
According to a warning issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), "the fuel control valve diaphragm and the fuel valve may drip fuel. In the presence of an ignition source, dripping fuel poses the risk of fire."
The recall will affect 39,000 VT600s, VLXs and VTX1300s and apparently all 750 V-twins designated '07 or '08 models. Honda dealers will replace the fuel control valve diaphragm assembly free of charge when the recall officially begins, on April 10.
Consumers may contact Honda at 1-866-784-1870 or the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or view more info at http://safercar.govor consumeraffairs.com

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew who could be affected.

Ride Safe
-Beastie Boy
That's correct! I just had this done 4 weeks ago on my new 1800T. Apparently this recall is for 1800 models as well! The fuel control valve has to be re-adjusted/checked after about 1000km.

·
Just an Ordinary Guy
642 Posts
Just wanted to post that the original web URL safercar.gov no longer works.

The site is now at: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/

Strange thing is the logo is still safercar.gov :icon_weir...

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I purchased my bike back in 7-08 I found that recall when I researched the bike. I asked the dealer about it and he said all their bikes had already had it replaced. Sweeet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts