Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is strange. I'm searching Revzilla for front and rear tires for my 06 VTX1800C.
Specs say Front: 130/70 R18, and Rear: 180/70 R16

Wanted to try the new Metz Cruisetec, got the rear but not the front.
Then looked at old reliable ME888. -got the front, but not the rear.

What gives Metzler?????

I want to keep the front and rear the same brand and type. Cost is not an issue as I want the best rubber on the road I can buy.
Was really sold on the Cruisetec ads and reviews, but, if they don't make it, whats the next best choice.

The bike is for touring, daily commute. Would like specs similar to the Cruisetec in terms of mileage and grip.

any recommendations? thinking Dragons?

·
Registered
16,355 Posts
Look at Dunlop Elite 4, or Michelin Commander II. I'd recommend either, from experience, as slightly better thanthe Metz'. I had Metz 880 before the Mich., currently running the Dunny on the front, and have been Darkside on the rear for the past 4-5 years. I endorse that also, won't ever go back to a MC rear.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,121 Posts
I have Michelin Commander ll's on my 1300 and no complaints

·
Registered
30 Posts
From an earlier post.

#36 Aug 31, 2018

VTX 1800 tires.

Just purchased a 2003 VTX 1800 and is in need of tires, can somebody give me a good reason bot to buy Shinko tires, for the price they are so appealing but i dont know anything about them and im working on a. Tight budget, or does anybody have any good suggestions for a good alternative that is budget friendly
My reply:
I have a 2003 VTX1800 with 67,000 miles and run twisties and in heavy rain. I haven't tried Shinko tires but on other bikes I have owned I got tired of replacing tires every 5-7K and started running Dunlap Elite 3s. I've gotten between 15,573-11,748 miles on the rears running at 40 psi. and 18,964 on the front running at 38 psi, and I run the rear tires down to the"second" rubber, and wear line 1 cm off the left shoulder. I've been happy with the handling especially in heavy rain when chasing tail lights (wake off front tire, cars parked two deep under the bridges, and no letup in rain passing under the bridges) only hydroplaned briefly. I did have one set of fronts where they seemed to change the shoulder area compound to a softer material that didn't wear well. The 11,748 and 18,964 was the latest mileage (had both tires changed a few days ago). Dunlop stopped making Elite 3s, I haven't tried the Elite 4s yet. Didn't see any mileage figures on the Shinko's so I thought I'd let you know my experience with the Elites.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts