Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
This isn't really a recommendation, but rather a list of what I use.

Mobil 1 10w-40
Mobil 1 75w-90
Prestone synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid
Honda coolant
Bel-Ray 10w fork oil

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sounds good to me. You can save some money by not buying Honda brand stuff.

·
Registered
715 Posts
For coolant I use the peak "long life"
No Silicates or Phosphorous...somewhat cheaper than the honda stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm writing this down now! :icon_pape

I got my bike in November, it is coming up on 1500 miles, should I assume that the dealer had changed the oil/fluids? or go ahead and change them to be safe?

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
shell rotella T6 here with the wix filter (super tech if it's walmart i'm in), peak extended life coolant, and lucas gear oil in the final drive...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you use honda coolant, stop by a honda car dealership and pick up a gallon of honda oem car coolant, it's the same silica free coolant, only much cheaper than honda motorcycle coolant.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I got my bike in November, it is coming up on 1500 miles, should I assume that the dealer had changed the oil/fluids? or go ahead and change them to be safe?
Never assume that a Stealer did their job. It is better to caution on the safe side. Fluids are the cheapest thing you will ever buy for you bike even if you run synthetics.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a question about oil filters. The stealer(who I don't trust at all) told me that using other then honda filters is a bad idea. He said it was something with the flow through the filter. They also said that they have had several gold wings come in for warrenty engine replacement that were using fram filters and that honda would not replace them because the fram filters caused it. To me it sounded like a bunch of BS but I know that some fords have problems with filters with no check valve. I guess what my question is there any filter to stay away from. I have always preferred wix filters and does anyone have there pn# for a wix filter that fits?

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
I got a question about oil filters. The stealer(who I don't trust at all) told me that using other then honda filters is a bad idea. He said it was something with the flow through the filter. They also said that they have had several gold wings come in for warrenty engine replacement that were using fram filters and that honda would not replace them because the fram filters caused it. To me it sounded like a bunch of BS but I know that some fords have problems with filters with no check valve. I guess what my question is there any filter to stay away from. I have always preferred wix filters and does anyone have there pn# for a wix filter that fits?
considering honeywell/allied signal makes the honda filters (same company that makes fram filters), i'd personally stay the hell away from the honda filters...i think the wix number 51356 (been a couple years since i've owned the honda, but there's a sticky thread about part numbers i think) or napa gold number 1356 (wix makes napa filters and the numbers are the same except for the first number on the wix)

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts

Come to the Tech session in West Memphis and we'll give you a hand.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds like alot of fun. I will have to see how the summer goes if I can make it down there.

Thinking of trying Mobile 1 synthetic ATF for forks. Any thoughts?

Buy the way, I went with rotella t6 synthetic(walmart $20) and mobile1 m1-110 filter(advance auto $8). Immediately noticed smoother shifting. I tried honda filter and hp4 last fall and by this spring it was really dirty (only 2000 miles).

Almost forgot I checked with the local Honda car stealer and they would give me a deal on honda 50/50 premix for $19.50gal. 20 bucks for 2 quarts of antifreeze I don't think so. Got prestone extended life concentrate (Free of silicate, phosphate, borate and nitrate) for around $12 at wally world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts