Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is,.. anything to 1/2 throttle ok,.. 3/4 or more and it falls on its face,.. plugs are fouled,... reading 14.8 to 15 volts on batt,.. and stays the same when givin gas to about 3500 to 4000 rpm... could it be the regulator/rectifier.....????

carb is good,. 58 slow 210 main, drag pipes no baffle,.. dougs intake,.. ran fine before..needle 4th clip..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would say your regulator is good. Have you checked the ECM wiring? There's a thread on this page about it. Possibly vacuum leak as well. Good luck, will be following this thread for the outcome. Hamph

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
It's not the regulator.
What is your a/f set at - are you using the choke to start it, if so then it needs to be opened up some.
As said above check the green and black wires going in to the ECM - look very close.

Donut :patriot: Doug

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nube here,

What part of the powerband/idle does the A/F screw affect primarily? My manul says its for tuning carb for different altitudes,tho I see a lot of references to it on other threads regarding overall performance.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Has the a/f screw fallen out. It can act funny without it.

Never thought about that.
Plugs fouled, I missed that part, could have had a jet fall out.

Who put the jets in?

And, how many turn out is the af screw? 3 1/2 or more it could have fallen out. Or your main or slow jets could have fallen out.
Plugs are getting fouled some how.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Never thought about that.
Plugs fouled, I missed that part, could have had a jet fall out.

Who put the jets in?

And, how many turn out is the af screw? 3 1/2 or more it could have fallen out. Or your main or slow jets could have fallen out.
Plugs are getting fouled some how.
I agree and if you go more than 2.5 on the a/f then something is wring and you would have do go up a jet size. Something may have come loose and what brand jet was put in there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jets are in, and A/F is has not fallen out,.. factory pro jets..... its set at 2 1/4 turns,. been like that and is perfect for what I have... never used the choke to start it,... went over ecm wiring and is ok,... no vacuum leaks of any kind,.. fuel screen in carb is clean......

anyone know of the points in the wiring where it fails/breaks/short out...???

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It can break up where you cant see it in the ECM unit, there is a picture I just say around here some where. I dont remember which wires that usely break , I remember one is green, I have never had that problem with the wires so I dont know.
Only thing on the darn bike, that I havent had to fix in over 76k

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Check float level as per manual specs. Also, if the fuel petcock is vacuum operated. Check that it's operating properly. As you open the throttle past 1/2 the vacuum signal may be dropping off to the point that its straving the carb for fuel.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
If the choke is not stuck out a little then Is there a chance the main jet is plugged.
But it still seams like the ECM wire and you may not be able to see it because it could be broke in the wiring casing cover. Let it Idle and carefully wiggle the wires. Don't break them.
Donut:patriot:

·
Registered
114 Posts
jets are in, and A/F is has not fallen out,.. factory pro jets..... its set at 2 1/4 turns,. been like that and is perfect for what I have... never used the choke to start it,... went over ecm wiring and is ok,... no vacuum leaks of any kind,.. fuel screen in carb is clean......

anyone know of the points in the wiring where it fails/breaks/short out...???
Going thru my harness near neck/steering stem,figued out why my turn signal was shorted out,found two bare wires,hope this helps..:choppersm
had to strip back the black coverwrap for the wiring before i spotted it..
good luck!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK GUYS,... so here it is,... It was the Regulator/Rectifier....!

first off all wiring was ok,.. ecm/icm was all good,.. plus any problems by the neck is a no go,.. because i re-wired it do to my bars, I have no turn lights, horn,. ect,ect.. just headlight and brake/tail... cause its all internal.

So I put the meter to it again,.. batt was at 18.20 volts.. and it wasnt the stator.. hook up the meter to the RR while runninh, got less then .2 volts,.. not good...

so switched the meter to the diode-test fuction, and check the RR again,..motor off,... (spec is 1.00 or more,.) out of the 3 tests spots.. i got .763, .683 and OFL.. = BAD RR... then i did another test to check rr ground and i got higher than 1.0 volts,..(spec is .2 to 1.0v)

and just to make sure, i tested the stator did three diff test and everthing is in spec...

ordered a new RR slpped it on and BAM,.. we back in buisness kids..., just need new plugs cause there are fouled out,. RR must have been crapping out for a while cause she hasnt pulled like that in about two years,.. all this time i thought it was carb issues,.. just gotta dial in the the carb and we are golden...and for my set up I ordered a special 205 jet from factory pro, and gonna up grade the emulsion tube, she should scream a wee bit more when said and done.. do too the drag pipes,.. I top out at 108,.. once I dial her in right I should be able to hit her max which is 110 to 115....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts