Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2006 VTX 1300R. It was new when I got it, and shortly afterward, my riding buddy convinced me to get HK 3" Big Straights put on. They have been great for that time in my life, but now, requirements have changed and I'm actually interested in putting the stock pipes back on. The only problem is, I have no idea where to start or what I'd need.

When I got the Big Straights, I had the dealer do the install, and this included a jet kit and Kuryakyn Pro-Series Hypercharger. When I went to pick up the bike, I had to ask for my old pipes and other parts back--they seem surprised that I'd actually want them, but I did get them. I did not get the OEM jets though. I'm pretty sure I do not have everything I'd need to return it to stock--in fact, just assume I only have the stock pipes.

Before I go and start ripping off the current pipes, what will I need to do this right? Will it be as simply and taking off the HKs and bolting on the stock? Somehow I think there's other pieces involved. And I figured I'll have to re-jet the carbs. Or will I? I'd like to keep the hypercharger on, if it's all the same...

I should also note that I was getting 50+ MPG with the stock configuration and after putting on the HKs and hypercharger, that dropped precipitously, to like 35MPG, but maybe that was to be expected... As far as putting on my originaly pipes, any suggestions/help/guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Curmudgeon at Large
8,365 Posts
Contact Doug (Donut), Charlei D, Hoss or Bassdude. They can walk you through it better than I could. You will need new crush gaskets but should not have to re-jet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just reinstalled the factory exhaust on my bike. The PO had some Cobra slip ons that I didn't care for. It has been rejetted and had the Pair Valve mod done and it runs perfect still.I'm no expert though.

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
When talking to Charlie about the hypercharger, he may make mention of what a great door stop it can be. He is one of our most recognized Carb gurus, and will give you honest advice. All of the guys G3 mentioned will too. Gonzo1970 is another name to add to that pile. Did you get your stock air box and cover back from the dealer too?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
To install the stock pipes, you will need new crush washers like G3 said and the OEM exhaust bracket and hardware. If you have a service manual, it will give you instructions. If your MPG dropped so much, the tuning may have been incorrect. If you do want to go back to the stock airbox, you would need to rejet but just a pipes change requires little adjustment to the carb.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I have 2006 VTX 1300R. It was new when I got it, and shortly afterward, my riding buddy convinced me to get HK 3" Big Straights put on. They have been great for that time in my life, but now, requirements have changed and I'm actually interested in putting the stock pipes back on. The only problem is, I have no idea where to start or what I'd need.

When I got the Big Straights, I had the dealer do the install, and this included a jet kit and Kuryakyn Pro-Series Hypercharger. When I went to pick up the bike, I had to ask for my old pipes and other parts back--they seem surprised that I'd actually want them, but I did get them. I did not get the OEM jets though. I'm pretty sure I do not have everything I'd need to return it to stock--in fact, just assume I only have the stock pipes.

Before I go and start ripping off the current pipes, what will I need to do this right? Will it be as simply and taking off the HKs and bolting on the stock? Somehow I think there's other pieces involved. And I figured I'll have to re-jet the carbs. Or will I? I'd like to keep the hypercharger on, if it's all the same...

I should also note that I was getting 50+ MPG with the stock configuration and after putting on the HKs and hypercharger, that dropped precipitously, to like 35MPG, but maybe that was to be expected... As far as putting on my originaly pipes, any suggestions/help/guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
You will need to jet the carb properly the kit in there now is garbage
215-220 main
60 pilot
A/F set at 1 5/8 open
Needle with the clip on the 4th position for starters.
This should get you back up to around 38-42 on the mpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts