Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up this morning in the dark, was going to take the bike in to work, but got fifty feet down the road and noticed I had no headlight. Also had no Wally World fog lights either. Turned around back into the driveway and parked her. Had to take the cage because couldnt spend the time to look it over. Fogs light relay is triggered off the microsoft colored blue/white wire in the headlight bucket, so guess it made sense that without headlight I wouldnt have fog lights either. Any thoughts on what to look at tonight? A simple fuse blown maybe and should I get back into the headlight bucket and see if anything electrical looks amiss? All other lights work, bike started right up.....

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Sounds like the starter switch needs cleaning, but check the simple things first. Battery cables, fuses.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
starter switch. also controls the head light.. clean the starter switch every 2 years. . bet you have not... many, many people with this problem.
sometimes the head light will not work.. OR sometimes the starter will not work... you could have got stuck at work...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct, the starter switch has not been cleaned, though I had full intentions of doing so soon. :) Doesnt that count?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont have the wiring diagram in front of me, but if the push button switch is dirty, then its not passing power to headlight which would normally be on with key on. So when the button is depressed, it must activate a relay turning power to the headlight off while the starter is engaged.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Dont have the wiring diagram in front of me, but if the push button switch is dirty, then its not passing power to headlight which would normally be on with key on. So when the button is depressed, it must activate a relay turning power to the headlight off while the starter is engaged.
The starter button is a contact point. When not being pressed it contacts the headlight circuit and sends power through there. When pressed in, it moves from contacting the headlight circuit to the starter circuit and then sends power to the starter circuit. This is why when it's dirty 1 of three things will happen. Like in your situation, you will not get power to your headlight, but you can still start the bike. Or you could have power to your headlight, but the bike will not start, you would just hear a click (which is what happened to me a little while back), and lastly you might not have power to the headlight and the bike will not start.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Id simply check the headlight fuse under the side cover first. My X has 30k miles, and Ive never cleaned the starter button. I know Im going to have to at some point, I just havent yet.. I have, however, lost a headlight fuse.. :)

-Gonz

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Id simply check the headlight fuse under the side cover first. My X has 30k miles, and Ive never cleaned the starter button. I know Im going to have to at some point, I just havent yet.. I have, however, lost a headlight fuse.. :)

-Gonz
That's exactly what is was.... a blown 10 amp headlight fuse. Did you ever find out what caused it, or do those little fuses just go bad after awhile?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts

-Gonz
When my driving lights were wired the same as his I had to clean mine a few times. Since rewiring it to the distribution block I've had no problems.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
That's exactly what is was.... a blown 10 amp headlight fuse. Did you ever find out what caused it, or do those little fuses just go bad after awhile?
Don't question genius. Just stand back in awe and appreciate!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I blew another fuse this afternoon and lost headlight and foglights again. Threw in another fuse and decided to turn off the fog lights with the switch I put in just in case it is the foglights that are shorting somewhere. I suspect it is the fog light wiring because I recently hooked up new lights and I hurried the connections so may have screwed something up. We will see if I lose another fuse with just the headlights on and foglights off. If it is shorting to ground, I would have thought it would do it right off though.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Couple years ago I was having a similar problem and found that it was all my fault. I had cleaned up the driving light wiring by soldering the wiring inside the light bar. Apparently, there was a little burr of solder that wore thru the shrink tube and grounded out the lights. Not sure if this helps any, but maybe -- trying to help man :patriot:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couple years ago I was having a similar problem and found that it was all my fault. I had cleaned up the driving light wiring by soldering the wiring inside the light bar. Apparently, there was a little burr of solder that wore thru the shrink tube and grounded out the lights. Not sure if this helps any, but maybe -- trying to help man :patriot:
yeah, I'll get into it this weekend , but I think I have something similiar

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
This is exactly why it pays not to jump to conclusions just because someone says "this is what my problem was". Always troubleshoot by checking the simple things first, like you did.

Good luck finding the rest of your problem.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
yeah, I'll get into it this weekend , but I think I have something similiar
I had so much trouble with the light bar (turn signals and driving lights) that I took it off and got better driving lights. My intention was to beat the crap out of it with a 3lb hammer, but decided to take it with me to Georgia and gift it to my brother-in-law for his Kawasaki. In thinking more about that light bar/turn signal set, I came to the conclusion my X was totally offended by having Harley turn signals installed on it and rejection of the part had set in (that same set-up is still sold by National Cycle).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2005 VTX 1300 and both my fog lights quit working, all my other lights are fine. Is there a fuse for fog lights in the headlight housing ? I'm not getting any power to my fog lights, BUT the Lights DO work, I checked them on my car battery and they DO work. Just wondering if there is a fuse. I HATE to go into that headlight housing, I did it once before years ago and it was a pain in the butt and there are a ton of wires in there .

From the BBQ capital of Texas

GREG

Attachments

·
Reeling Jackwagon
9,050 Posts
I have a 2005 VTX 1300 and both my fog lights quit working, all my other lights are fine. Is there a fuse for fog lights in the headlight housing ? I'm not getting any power to my fog lights, BUT the Lights DO work, I checked them on my car battery and they DO work. Just wondering if there is a fuse. I HATE to go into that headlight housing, I did it once before years ago and it was a pain in the butt and there are a ton of wires in there .

From the BBQ capital of Texas

GREG
Do you by chance have your "High Beams" on? Fog lights won't work with high beams if wired with the factory plug-in in the headlight bucket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts