Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sense I have these Cobra Slip on's, do I need to remove the original header pipes as well? I should tell you I am not mechanically inclined and after having searched some past forms I am still at a loss. Is it possible to just remove the rear muffler sections and Honda bracket?

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Just remove the stock mufflers from the header pipes...They'll need some convincing (block of wood and rubber mallet) to come off, but no need to pull the headers off the bike...

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
One clamp at the front of each muffler.
One clamp at the crossover tube.
Two bolts that hold the top muffler to the bottom one.
Two bolts that hold the bottom muffler to the bracket.

I don't know if the Cobra slip-ons use the stock bracket or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick response Bill and John. I will need to remove the stock bracket at well so I can install the one supplied. I'll get that rubber mallet out and see what I can do.

·
33,457 Posts
What I do is loosen all the bolts john mentioned, then wedge a block of wood in at the front of the bracket holding the mufflers together...Then hit the block of wood with the mallet....They're on there good and tight, so it'll take some time to get them to wiggle back far enough to pull them off....Just be patient and don't get in a hurry, you'll do just fine...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awsome. The stock Mufflers are off. Thanks Guys. I so appreciate this forum. As A novice tinkerer I can at least make attempts at maintenance and mods. If I run into problems, Someone at the VTX-Cafe is willing to help. Even if it's a minor issue like mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put a set of slip ons on my 1300s. Remove every bolt you can find. Might be a problem getting the OEm mufflers off. I gently used a 4 lb hammer and a block of wood and just tapped them off. Slip ons are easy to put on. I just had to purchase a rubber grommet to cover a bolt that was showing under the slip ons and she looks pretty smick when viewed from a short distance. Nice sound to boot. Quite happy with the setup and proud of myself with the finished job

·
Registered
994 Posts
I read them also. And seeing I just got my slipons in, I wanted to read the tips do I didn't friday the same questions on thursday when I put mine on.

·
33,457 Posts
Does anyone read all of the posts in a thread anymore? Or is it just me?

:rolleyes:

Sent from Sasquatch's secret hiding place.

Was just gonna say the same thing....Seems like ALOT of folks just read the first post and then respond right away, not bothering to see if anybody already gave the same advice, or that the job is already done....

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
Was just gonna say the same thing....Seems like ALOT of folks just read the first post and then respond right away, not bothering to see if anybody already gave the same advice, or that the job is already done....

That, and replying to three year old threads about gas mileage...or whatever. People...READ THE POSTS! :doh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts