Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the tank stickers and reflectors right after I got the bike, but still have the stubborn residue that's just an eye sore and need to get rid of it. I have done searches and tried Goo B Gone and WD40 with no avail.. Anyone have any other fixes for this? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Depending on how long the stickers have been on, it could take several wipe downs with wd-40/goo gone for the residual marks to disappear. But they will in time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'm doing something wrong then.. How long should I let it sit? I have tried saturating a rag with WD40, putting on a nice coat, and let it sit for an hour or so with no luck...

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I used alcohol on mine and it took it off after a few tries, followed with a fresh coat of wax. Just be careful... the clear coat is very easy to scratch up if you wipe it with something to abrasive.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
never had a problem with WD-40.......just wipes right off for me.........use it all the time ..........

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just bought a 2007 VTX 1300, so its been sitting in a crate for a while. I used a hair dryer, warmed it up a bit, and took the sticker off. Some goo was left, and I didn't know what to do. Thanks for the WD-40 idea. Does it hurt the paint or wax?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
NO..........the wd-40 will NOT hurt the paint at all......just spot wash and maybe re-wax the area after the goo is gone.......

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I left a rag soaked in WD40 sitting on the spot overnight and it still won't wipe off... Used a clean, dry rag and even wiped a bit more on just to try but nothing.. Thinking about using an old flexable plastic card and very carefully trying to work it off...

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
I'd stay away from the goof-off and go-b-gone type products. I have heard some bad things about them on paint.

WD-40 is great. You are on the right track with soaking a rag and setting on the goopy area. I know its the wrong time of year, but sitting the bike in a hot sun will do wonders with removing this junk.

Take the suggestions of others and heat it up real good with a hair dryer and let it soak, maybe over night, and heat it up again in the morning to help break the junk up. It's gonna take a little elbow grease to get that stubbern stuff off, but it will come off.

DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS! They will scratch your tank/painted surfaces.

I used purell hand sanitizer on mine, worked okay but required a lot of rubbing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I saturated a rag with WD-40 let it sit on the goo for a couple of minutes and then used elbow grease....just had to wipe it a push on it. I'd think that the cold wouldn't help though. Try the hair dryer as stated or a warm garage.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It, got down to the low 20's last night and is only going to be 30ish today so I might have to break out the extension cord and borrow a hair dryer.

Again, thanks a bunch for the advice!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I discovered quite by accident that Shell 87 octane removes the residue instantly when I spilled some gas on the tank while filling up. One wipe with a paper towel and it was gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts