Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a slow leak in my new (800 miles ) rear tire ,upon inspection I discovered a nail , dead center of the tread .It's losing approx. 25 lbs a week. My question is can I have it plugged or patched or am I looking at buying a new tire ? Safety is my main concern .

·
Registered
354 Posts
I noticed a slow leak in my new (800 miles ) rear tire ,upon inspection I discovered a nail , dead center of the tread .It's losing approx. 25 lbs a week. My question is can I have it plugged or patched or am I looking at buying a new tire ? Safety is my main concern .
Replacement is the safest course of action. I have patch plugged and put ride-on to balance a tire with the exact issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
I have ridden on plugged motorcycle tires for many thousands of miles on two different occasions. It is not only quite reasonable to do this with an internally applied mushroom plug, I do not think there is any problem with doing it on an externally applied "strip" plug. I have never heard of a plugged bike tire failing at the plug. I am sure it has happened but our odds of getting hit by a deer are probably higher and yet we still ride. Plug it, ride it, and do not even think any further about it.

·
Deuce
3,843 Posts
Plug it and ride on just keep an eye on the pressure.I have plugged many tires and rode them for many thousand miles. I do replace them sooner than I would a tire with no plug my experience has taught me when the tires is getting bald the plug will not stay in the hole. I just make it a point to replace it a little early but otherwise ride it and keep an eye on the pressure

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've plugged rear tires and rode them until they get nearly bald several times... A front tire plug would only be until I could get another tire installed though!

·
Faith Fears Not
97 Posts
IMO, with a plug the worst that could happen as a result of that plug is a slow leak as long as you stay aware. You need to do what you are comfortable with though. I have plugged several and never had a leak at all. The extra awareness may even help you find the next puncture before it's problematic.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've ridden on small punctures like that with nothing but slime for the life of the tire. I mark the side of the tire and watch the puncture and the pressure. Typically not more than a drop of slime comes out.

·
Faith Fears Not
97 Posts
The VTX1300S has an inner tube. You can install one
While true, a tubed tire has a much greater chance of sudden deflation than a tubeless plugged or not plugged does.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry, I misread your post. I agree, a nail can certainly tear a tube yielding much faster deflation than a plugged tubeless tire. I think the risk in plugging a tubeless tire revolves around damaging a belt / separation. This sounds like a minor repair that should be monitored but likely won't be a problem.

·
Faith Fears Not
97 Posts
Sorry, I misread your post. I agree, a nail can certainly tear a tube yielding much faster deflation than a plugged tubeless tire. I think the risk in plugging a tubeless tire revolves around damaging a belt / separation. This sounds like a minor repair that should be monitored but likely won't be a problem.
I was replying to loayk who suggested installing a tube. I think the OP has a C which is of course tubeless and I would not put a tube in it myself and consider a plug a better/safer repair of a tubeless tire.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Of course it's all going to depend upon your method as you're turning a small hole into a big hole. On using the rope type plugs I have used this many times successfully using the plug and generous glob of rubber cement. On my old Virago I ran the back down to a slick and the plug was fine. On car tires I noticed slow leaks developing sometimes if the puncture was between the tread with the rope type plugs. I have since bought mushroom plugs and tried them out on my 4x4 and they worked fine, but I didn't keep the tire long. I wouldn't use them on side wall punctures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts