Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new master cylinder covers from santa, but I'm new to motorcycle repair. Is there a special sequence that I need to know or special way to replace the covers? I don't want to just unscrew them and put the new ones on if I need to make sure the pressure and torque is correct.

Anyone done this lately or know where I can find the proper way to change these out?

Thanks!!!
Drew
:choppersm

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I'm new to this as well. I replaced my covers a couple of days ago. I blocked my sidestand about 4" with some scrap wood to upright the bike as much as I could.
I then simply removed the stock covers and installed the new ones. I've riden my bike twice since then...no problems what-so-ever. Go for it. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
There is no pressure on the master cylinders until you depress the plunger. So what you want to do is like GerTxr posted. What you want it for the master to be level so when you remove the cover your fluid won't run out. So, do what ever you need to do to level the master cylinder. Remove the cover and replce with the new cover. If you do get a little fluid out on the rim use a CLEAN cloth to wipe it off. All mating surfaces should be clean so they make a good seal and won't leak.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I changed the one for my brake last spring...Had my fiancee' sit on the bike holding it upright while I changed the cover...Piece-o-cake!!!...

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Did mine.

Do not be alarmed if you see a drop or so of fluid coming past the cover in the next few days,,,

Mine did that, cover(s) were tight and sealed,,, musta been residual or what not as it never has done it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts