Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my fuel cap, and broke off the 'moving cover' that keeps dirt out of the key opening. 2003 VTX 1300-S

It is HONDA Part Number 17620-KR3-751. This can be found on Bike Bandit for $55 - $60.

On eBay I found seller ewmotorparts and he had one that was compatible. # 401842079767 for less than $20, and ships from the Los Angeles CA area.

However, the new rubber gasket on the inside of the fuel cap would not let you push the cap down far enough into the tank opening, to allow
the 'tongs' to release and clamp onto the inside of the tank, and release the key from the cap.
This can be adjusted with an ignition points file, or similar small file, and SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY remove part of the top of the
tongs, where they will engage the inside of the fuel tank. File off a bit of tong, then rinse the filings off, and see how it fits.
When the tongs finally come all the way out and hold the fuel cap in place, and release the key, then remove Just a Bit More so the cap
won't jam in place, but the gasket still seals the tank. ( No gas leaks ) You only need to remove 1/32 - 1/16 of an inch from the tongs.

Credit for this idea goes to Tom Overton of the Free Souls MC Club. He can fix all kinds of problems on Many different types of bikes and other motor vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An even Cheaper Way to fix the 'Broken Key Cover' problem - a Small Piece of Duct Tape. Leave part stuck to the cap while you peal the rest off so you can insert the key and open the cap. Then stick the tape back down when your done.
( Back Woods - Hill Billy Solution: Cheap but it works )

·
Super Moderator
9,927 Posts
When I had my wife's VTX1300 tank painted, we took the gas cap off, drained the tank, and then left the gas cap off for several months while the tank was painted. This occurred during the Michigan winter so no riding time was lost. When we tried to put the cap back on the painted tank, the tabs would not catch - just like you describe. This was strange since the cap used to fit and the edges of the tank opening were not painted. I realized that the rubber seal had dried out and become stiff which prevented the cap from being pushed down far enough. I put a drop or two of gasoline on the rubber seal and kept doing this for a few hours. After this time, the seal was still stiff but with a lot of pressure, I could get the cap tabs to latch. I left it in place for a couple of weeks with gas in the tank (still Michigan winter) and, voila, the seal had absorbed enough gas that it was flexible enough to allow the normal operation of the cap and tabs.

Anyone thinking about filing on the tabs should first make sure the seal has reached equilibrium with the gas in the tank such that it is at normal flexibility. Only then should a judgement on tab function be made and filing done, if necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts