Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my name is knothead and i'm a bikeaholic:beer: i was told i'd get more responses here rather than the meet&greet forum. it may take me awhile to learn my way around here so bear with me. thanks for the greetings so far and all the feedback. i'm going to be adding hard bags and a trunk for longer trips and wanting to know from the more experienced riders what are the must have's as far as needed equipment and gear? already know a change from stock seat seems to be universal. how do you pack for 2up riding, as far as clothes, tools, gear, not alot of room for anything but the must have's. looking at about a 4 day trip after the july 4 holiday.

knothead :choppersm

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Well, on my recent 11 day 6,000 km round trip from Nova Scotia to Tennessee and home the most valuable gear in my order was as follows;

1. Quality rain suit sized so that cold weather gear can be worn underneath.
2. Extra pair of gloves or two. Allowing you to cycle through them.
3. Cold weather gear. Pants, sweaters, etc..
4. Extra pair of shoes, sneakers or whatever to wear after removing the riding boots.

·
Registered
875 Posts
As Tom stated above, plus if you have the room, a small air pump and plugs for flats.My brother and I went on a two day trip and being in the middle of nowhere and develop a flat is terrible. It came in real handy and a fast fix until we got it properly repaired---- just my $.02 worth----good luck

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
As Tom stated above, plus if you have the room, a small air pump and plugs for flats.My brother and I went on a two day trip and being in the middle of nowhere and develop a flat is terrible. It came in real handy and a fast fix until we got it properly repaired---- just my $.02 worth----good luck
+1 Being able to deal with a breakdown can be tough. On our trip there was 7 of us. We put together a tool kit that would allow most roadside repairs. As noted above as well as fuses, electrical tape and a small multi-meter. Several of us also have CAA memberships (Canadian version of AAA) to deal with major issues. And most importantly when travelling with a group. Everyone fill up at the same time.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I got a small tool kit w/ fuses for some road side repairs should they be needed. Rain gear is a must!! A fully charged cell phone, so think abt doing the electrical accessory mod might be a good idea for a phone plug in. I did the dragon last yr and just one day on w/ a fully charged phone, the mountains zapped all the power. Thankfully I made it back to the hotel in time before it was totally gone and tossed it on the charger. In my Kury Grand Tour Bag carry extra large and small zip lock bags for keep things dry. Small camera is an idea, never know when a good pic opportunity might present itself.

Alex

·
Sarge
643 Posts
Seems like a no brainer but I had to learn the hard way!!

Everything everyone else said, PLUS...

1) a cell phone
2) a list of Honda dealers phone numbers along the route...(the internet is great for collecting this info...)
3) a list of "friends" from this board along your route...(we hate being stranded too! If we can help, we usually will!)
4) I added a luggage rack to my trunk...Gave me a lot more room!
Hope you have a GREAT trip!!

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
my name is knothead and i'm a bikeaholic:beer: i was told i'd get more responses here rather than the meet&greet forum. it may take me awhile to learn my way around here so bear with me. thanks for the greetings so far and all the feedback. i'm going to be adding hard bags and a trunk for longer trips and wanting to know from the more experienced riders what are the must have's as far as needed equipment and gear? already know a change from stock seat seems to be universal. how do you pack for 2up riding, as far as clothes, tools, gear, not alot of room for anything but the must have's. looking at about a 4 day trip after the july 4 holiday. knothead :choppersm

Well... packing for a 2-up is more of a challenge.. by myself, I could pack for a whole dang month on the road.. But SHE brings a lot of gear with her....

Here's my advice.... and you need to be forceful with her.... Tell her how it is...

-Don't let your rider bring more than one pair of shoes other than what she's wearing...

-Explain to her that jeans can be reworn, day after day. Its OK, really...

-Tell her that going "Commando" on the road is fun...

-Hairbrushes and hairdryers need not make the trip... Spending 35 freaking minutes on your hairdo is such a waste of time... Just get your helmet on when you get up, so you don't scare any kids....

-Sleeping attire is not needed, bikers either sleep in all of their clothes or just plain buck naked... so leave the fuzzy slippers at home

-Wear old ripped up t shirts, that way each night you can wipe down your bike with them, and then pitch them. Then each day you get to go souvenier shopping for a new t shirt.

-Show her the luggage you intend to pack in, about a week before you go.. Let her practice trying to stuff her crap in there... Each day pull her stuff back out and again review with her what is an essential, and what is not....

-Make sure she knows that a different shade of lipstick is not needed for each "outfit"... Chapstick will work just fine, and should keep all of her flapping parts moist enough.

Spoiler

(I'll add more later, but I've got to go now, as she'll be home in a few minutes, and I have to vacuum and dust around here a bit still.... :( )

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Safety FIRST:

MSF Course
MC Insurance
MC Tow Service
Engine Guards - not JUST for laying the bike down but also deflects flipped up boards, sticks, road gators (retreads), small dogs and angry raccoons......don't ask.
Air Horn - Nobody's gonna hear the Cracker Jack Box version the bike came with when it counts
Flashing Tail Light - Saved my ass several times so far while sitting in a turn lane!
Riding Boots (that you can actually walk in after getting off your bike - You will NOT be happy with anything you get from HD). Repairing the broken/crushed bones of an ankle or foot is almost impossible to bring back to any real usefulness
Riding Glasses/Goggles
Cell Phone - Charged - see 12V charger under Comfort)
ICE Numbers to include the usual PLUS:
  • MC Lawyer's Phone Number(s), If in an accident call these guys BEFORE your insurance company. If no life/limb-threatening injuries, call him BEFORE 911 to be sure you don't start saying/doing things you'll later regret!
  • Ph # for every Honda or Compatible Dealer/Repair Shop within 1 hour's reach of your route.
Burn Ointment (use only AFTER burn has been cooled)
Allergy Meds/AnaKit/Inhaler (as required0

Comfort:

Windshield, Glen's External Air/Fuel Mixture Knob, Glen's Clutch Relief Mod, Almost any after-market Seat (most get either Mustang or Ultimate), Back Rest, Risers, Iso Grips, a Throttle Relief device (e.g. Cramp Buster, $11 - learn how to set it - or something similar), Luggage Rack, Sissy Bar (tall), Cruise Pegs (if you have long legs or bad knees), QUALITY Magnetic Tank Bag w Clear Map Case on top, GPS Mount, 12V Charging unit, and on and on...

Here's an article that could help give you a start for all the other stuff. Plus don't forget to do a Search here at the cafe for "Tools" and "Tool Bag".

http://www.whybike.com/motorcycle136.htm

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Re-read Spoilers suggestions, good info. One of the most important item that you hopefully will not need is an extra key. Lose yours and you are out there brother! Big bucks and and hell a lot of frustration that will kill your trip. Staying in motel? They have washers so less cloths neded. Food...buy it where you are. Small medical kit needed...sun block and use it! Towels in motel but if camping share with spouse share a towel/wash cloth. Pack your stuff and then unload, remove half because you want need it and then repack and you will be ready to go. We are planning a Key West trip later this fall and will be on the road 7 days. I'll wear a pair of jeans, carry 2 pair of short pants and 3 total underwear, 3 total pair socks, 2 total pair of shoes and 3 total shirts and I'm done (total includes what I am wearing). Now if I can keep the wife to that I will have a lot of extra room for that SPARE KEY!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes to all the above.I added a cigarette lighter that i can hook up my GPS to .
If your trip includes small towns carry cash ,for out here in the land of the forgoten the Mom/Pop gas stations cash only.
Ride safe!

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
two up riding...i give her a sandwich bag and tell her to stuff what she can fit in there. that way i have the rest of the space in the bags for my things...

what i pack for me...
1. espresso machine for my morning coffee
2. charmin because i dont like when my finger goes through the cheap toilet paper that most places use (package size depends on how long the trip will be)
3. bath beads and a louffa so i can relax in the tub after a long day of riding
4. mud mask kit for when i am relaxing in the bubble bath
5. a list of dinner lounges that have tom jones look alikes and serve cosmopolitans along the route so i can enjoy some quality entertainment with my drink
6. birkenstocks...i have to be comfortable when i am off the bike walking somewhere
7. my speedo and some tanning lotion in case i stay somewhere that has a pool
8. mp3 player to listen to music...gotta hear me some cher while riding
9. my laptop and webcam so i can web chat my "bff's" marc, yancey, dionne, and rod
10. my pink bathrobe so i dont catch a chill after a nice bubble bath or shower

thats 10. i could go on, but then it would get a little embarrassing telling about my packing "unmentionables" :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can't handle the tom jones lookalikes. there's just something about that stick of bologna they pack in their pocket that turns me off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts