Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home safe & sound from Florida. Trailered the X 2400 miles with no problems to it. I did develope car problems on the way, transmission torque converter clutch started acting up on the way down. Kept slamming & skipping in & out of overdrive. I knew it would be time consuming & probably expensive to get fixed on the road so I managed with the intermittent issue by maually shifting the trans. Hoped & prayed it wouldn't lock up completely. It did take a toll on my gas mileage but I made it home. At one point I was messing with it & thinking if it went out should I have it fixed or buy a new car & be on my merry way, thank goodness I didn't have to make that decision.

Rode Monday afternoon to the Fort Myers Beach area.

Rode with jrsain & a group of his regulars on Tuesday. Thanks Jerry for including me, it was a fun time, good lunch & nice ride to Port Charlotte.

Rode Wednesday with GeneticVTX. Thanks James for the tour & a great ride all around Pine Island. You are a fine young man. I know you don't want to hear that gibberish but that's what us old folks say. Say hi to your Dad for me. Jerry joined us as well but had to leave early for his Thanksgiving Day holiday trip out of town. Thanks again both of you.

Rode Thursday morning to Sanibel Island before loading the X back on the trailer for the trip home on Friday.

All locked down & ready to roll.

Pine Island

Fort Myers Beach

Sanibel Island

My apologies to Wanderingbear. I had a ton of family commitments and with the addition of car problems I headed home a day early, just in case. I wish I had the time to make it to Frostproof, hopefully next time.

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
Awesome! :mosh:
Considering doing the same thing in February. How'd that trailer work for you? Someone near by me has that same trailer for sale at the end of their driveway.
Sorry to hear about the transmission. Guess you'll be getting one for Christmas now, huh? ;)

Glad you made it home safe. :)

Ray

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah buddy, a Christmas transmission. :mad: I am still hoping it's a solenoid or something other than a complete overhaul.

Trailer worked great. The only thing I did to it was weld in a 3" channel support bracket for under the rear wheel of the bike. Overkill? who knows but I felt better with it there instead of the rear wheel sitting on the mesh flooring.

Overall a good trip. My wife wants to go back in April (after she has the business taxes done & can relax) and ride from Fort Myers to the Keys for a few days. Hoping she keeps that attitude! :D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're good, did you check to see if your truck had to be out of overdrive for hauling a trailer? Some trucks require it to be in the regular mode.
Never entered my mind. :eek: Just hooked up & hauled butt as usual. Everything was good until it started kicking in & out of overdrive around Tallahassee on the trip down. It's even doing it today with the trailer off. Gonna get it checked out tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts