Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Keep er safe!! Joe
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way back when I first bought my VTX 1800 I did not know there was a rev limiter and posted about it and found out a bunch of stuff. Well, I still hit the limit more often then not and I don't like it for several reasons. I know, slow down but the X is made to turn me on with power. When I hit the limit it makes me think that I am damageing the rig but I know it is not. When it happens it also messes up my speed rush when shifting into 2nd gear. Never hit the limit in 3rd.

My question is, has anyone ever put some sort of "LIMIT" switch on the throttle? What I mean is, is there a way to limit the amount of twist to the throttle to where it will not max out the limiter? I know there is a slot in the throttle well or what ever you call it so maybe there is a way to put a "plug" in there so that when you put full throttle it will never hit the max RPM's that trigger the limiter.

Just asking if anyone has done this. I'm sure a few will say I am stupid for such a stupid question but oh well.

Joe

·
Registered
356 Posts
My suggestion is that you shift gear from 1st to 2nd earlier. That shouldn´t be so hard to learn in my opinion. But that is of course no answer to your question. :choppersm

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You need to learn your bike ! At what speed the limiter kicks in at what gear or just get you a tack ! Then you would know right when to shift gears just before the relimiter kicks in ! If you could reset it or ( turn the bike up ) then you would be closer to over rev-ing the engine. The 1800 does NOT do 9 to 10 thousand RPM. There not like the sports bikes. The 1800 get all it's power at low RPM's.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Tiger, you hit the nail right on the head. :mosh: Most of us X riders grew up whipping sport bikes around. Every one of those bikes had a tach and there was no guess work where to shift, because of the red zone. That's all JRM needs to solve his problem.
Install a tach, JRM, and you will be a happier rider.
Bry :cheers:

·
Reality Check Bounced
444 Posts
:coffee:Shift before your head hits the windscreen. Other words, learn when to shift at the right time and enjoy the real rush of catching it at the right peak RPM. They will only do what ya want em to, even take a dive. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Adjust your grip. The rev limiter kicks in because of engine RPM not throttle position. Doesn't matter if its at half throttle or full throttle.
+1 It's all in the rpm & gear selection vs throttle position

IMO first gear is just meant to launch the bike not to gain any speed, once you get a good launch hit second and then let it eat through the rest of the gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts