Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am riding a 2004 VTX 1300C. I changed spark plugs today, four out of five were medium carbon coated, the other was very clean. Not wet, but black, gap was not out of spect,31 to 33.I have also had a few decel pops, not every time but enough to get my attention. Looking up reasons why, i find rich/lean solutions. They mention the "A/F" screw to change the rich or lean mixture. My question is, where is the A/F screw ? Is this in the carburetor, and do I have to take the air box off to get to it ? Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
There are only 4 spark plugs so not sure how you could have "four out of five...". Get the service manual which is available on this site to find the A/F screw. It has a D-shaped head so you need a special tool to turn it or a homemade tool. The A/F screw is on the bottom of the carb. It cannot be accessed without: removing seat to remove tank to remove air box to loosen carb from intake manifold rubber boot and allow you to tip carb upwards to access the bottom of it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are only 4 spark plugs so not sure how you could have "four out of five...". Get the service manual which is available on this site to find the A/F screw. It has a D-shaped head so you need a special tool to turn it or a homemade tool. The A/F screw is on the bottom of the carb. It cannot be accessed without: removing seat to remove tank to remove air box to loosen carb from intake manifold rubber boot and allow you to tip carb upwards to access the bottom of it.
Thanks Vinish, I ment 3 out of 4 plugs. Will give it a try. Ya know, counting on your fingers while typing is not easy - - - - -just saying.

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
A man's got to know his limitations. Counting is an uncommon but possible limitation :)

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
For others in the same situation - do NOT buy the D-shaped tool. Instead, buy Glen's permanent A/F screw. this is a flexible handled A/F screw that can be accessed just below the airbox without having to remove anything from the bike.

Reactions: 2BBob and RJ64
1 - 8 of 8 Posts