Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread of the Do's and Don'ts for Riders. Being stationed in Arizona there was a time all I had was a bike, rode it everywhere. Its been over 11 years since I have owned a bike. I recently acquired a VTX-1300s and love it, so wondering what riders today consider acceptable, unacceptable, etc. Whats considerate of other rides, and what pisses you off. Things you should do, and things you should not do. Hopefully we all learn something, and sounds fun too.
View attachment 20923

·
Registered
748 Posts
When i ride two in one lane i ride staggered and the other driver has ownership of that 1/2 of the lane. I won't ride with anyone i can't trust.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
When i ride two in one lane i ride staggered and the other driver has ownership of that 1/2 of the lane. I won't ride with anyone i can't trust.
staggered in deed, because riding unstaggered is illegal in many states....
i wave at anyone, out of respect for simply having 2 wheels under one's self, bicycle, moped, etc, i wave....

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,423 Posts
I ride staggered.....with two seconds, at least, between the other rider and I......that way you can see what's in front of you and gives you enough time to get out of the way in case something does happen........

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
I think that a lot of depends on where you are riding, there are a lot of things that acceptable in urban areas that are frowned upon in rural areas.
Then you have to keep in mind that each state has different laws and every rider has a different level of experiance that effects a lot as well.
Here is a listing of the state laws as they pertain to motorcycles.
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/asp/legisltn/laws.asp

·
Registered
748 Posts
Oh yes i forgot i will wave to everyone especially the mopeders!
you have to start somewhere!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I would have to agree with all of these so far.

I will go one further though. Do not pull up to another rider when at a stop light and become two in one lane. I had a rider do that and I thought that was pretty rude.

You also have to ride like your invisible and ride like the cagers want to kill you.

If you have a stereo on your bike, realize that cagers and those around you can hear your radio too.

RIDE TO ARRIVE!!!

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
I agree. Ride staggered and don't pull up beside another rider at a traffic light. Wave to all 2 wheels.

·
IBA #37750
1,813 Posts
I will pull up at a light to talk
I never just pull up at a light, unless invited.

I have been invited to pull up by a HD rider once. He said "where'd you get them lights" (referring to my wally driving lights, mounted on my Linbar) I said "Walmart"...the light changed to green and he gave me the thumbs up as he drove away.

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
I have had several folks pull up next to me at lights and even pass me in the same lane while at speed, I used to get irratated now I just pay attention more so I am not surprised and its all good.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Let me rephrase that, i will pull up to talk if it is someone i am riding with and know.
I would never pull up to someone i don't know.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
In Oregon you can ride side by side (lane share) but you can't lane split in traffic.

I usually just ride staggered weather I know you or not.

At lights I pull up staggered behind any rider and never pull up till I am waved up.

·
Zoom Zoom...
662 Posts
I do: Ride stagered, wave at other Motorcycles, Ride like no one can see me, turn my high beam off to approching traffic, Honk at my Mom, try to keep the pipes quiet as I approch home, Always try to look cool even though my turn signals been blinking for the last 5 miles.:banghead:

I Don't: Ride like an A$$&@le, Wave at the Scooters or Mopeds (most are DUI scooters around here):spank:, rev the engine in the garage at 1:00 AM no matter what Mod I just got done with, Split Lanes.

Just a short list

Ride safe :choppersm

·
Registered
748 Posts
I do: Ride stagered, wave at other Motorcycles, Ride like no one can see me, turn my high beam off to approching traffic, Honk at my Mom, try to keep the pipes quiet as I approch home, Always try to look cool even though my turn signals been blinking for the last 5 miles.:banghead:

I Don't: Ride like an A$$&@le, Wave at the Scooters or Mopeds (most are DUI scooters around here):spank:, rev the engine in the garage at 1:00 AM no matter what Mod I just got done with, Split Lanes.

Just a short list

Ride safe :choppersm
Amen brother!

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Wave at the Scooters or Mopeds (most are DUI scooters around here):spank: :choppersm
if it requires a tag in ain't DUI in South Carolina....anything over 125 or 150 in the scooter/moped hood must be tagged and requires a licenses and if there's a DUI envolved it ain't gettin' rode by the DUI driver...so, i just wave out of respect of 2 wheels that's why i wave to the bicycles as well cause i ride one of those also Jamis Pro Trail

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
OK...it's probably not all, but here's what I can remember off the top of my head "etiquette-wise" while riding...at least most of the time:

DO'S:
· ALWAYS wave at children.
· Always pull over or to the side for oncoming funerals, LEOs or EMS vehicles.
· Thank truckers with a wave as you pass them, especially if they assist you or make your ride easier.
· Honk if three or more kids are gathered and wave at you, otherwise just wave or nod your head to them.
· Wave at other bikers if waved at first. If you have a passenger, make that their primary job.
· Only wave at mopeds if no other vehicle is around to see you.
· Wave or nod at LEO’s whether they wave back or not.
· Wave at oncoming US troop convoys or those on the side of the road.
· Honk at each troop convoy vehicle (AFTER passing the driver) when passing on the interstate (except near on/off ramps). It’s a show of respect and THEY get a charge out of it...especially if you’re on a cruiser.
· If coming upon another rider fall into a staggered wingman formation and maintain a 2 second gap until you can pass or he pulls away.
· When coming up on a riding group from behind assume they have a Tail Gunner and keep a safe staggered distance until you can pass them.
· If safe to do so, give short wave of acknowledgement when passing an unknown rider.
· Acknowledge Tail Gunners and Ride Captains when passing a group ride (note: 1%’ers won’t wave or nod back - EVER, but it’s considered “disrespectful” just to blast past them).
· Always pass hand signals back when in a group ride.
· Warn oncoming riders of LEOs with multiple taps of your hand to the top of your head/helmet.
· Warn oncoming riders of accidents or slow-downs ahead of them with multiple flashes of your headlight.
· Know the helmet and weapon carry laws of the state you are about to enter BEFORE you cross the line.
· Let a fellow rider in front of you if he’s trapped behind a large vehicle in the slower lane.
· Always be willing to share road/route/food/rest/safety/weather info with other riders at gas/rest stops.
· Always say “Thank you” to obvious Vet and/or Patriot Guard Riders.
· If possible, ask permission to take pictures of the back of someone vest or jacket ("colors").
· Ride to the right and at the back of others on a group ride if you have LOUD pipes (if you ever want to be invited to ride again, anyway).

DON’TS:
· Never touch another person's bike, bags or vest without their specific permission.
· Never tailgate...ANYbody!
· Never dive-bomb back into a lane after passing someone – again, ANYone!
· Never pass stranded riders on the side of the road. Use good safety sense when stopping and approaching in case it’s a shake-down, but don’t just abandon them either.
· Don’t flirt with the chick riding 2-Up – you have NO IDEA who her Old Man is or who might be watching.
· Never ride 2-Up with another male in the United States (unless it’s your son visiting from overseas).
· Never wave with your hand higher than your elbow (ala Gold Wingers or Moped riders) – Relatives are the exception.
· Don’t play tunes that other riders can hear while on a group ride, especially through dense forests, canyons or other echo producing geography. It’s distracting and potentially dangerous since other riders behind you can’t not hear the “music,” as such...only as misplaced “ghost” noises that they become distracted with while trying to place the sound.
· Don’t initiate waves at mopeds.
· Don’t wave in high density MC arenas (e.g. rallys and popular mountain/canyon roads)
· Don’t rev your engine at stops...it’s makes you look like you’re TRYING to get attention, which is pathetic.
· Never pull up next to an unknown rider at a stop unless invited. He might not realize you’re there and startle him besides it just being rude.
· Never park in another rider’s parking space no matter how much room he’s left unless 1) you know them, 2) they are expecting you or 3) an attendant directs you to do so due to the volume of bikes expected.
· Don’t forget that Truckers talk to each other constantly up and down the road and will pass on your behavior and description if it affects them (good or bad).
· Never join up with an unknown group of riders while they are on the move. Exception: Tail Gunner of group invites you to pull ahead of his bike to join up for your safety. This is VERY rare and usually only happens in a high density urban area where traffic is very start and stop and potentially dangerous to a single rider. It is not considered rude if you are not invited.
· Don’t pace pretty girls while in the hammer lane. It’s dangerous and just pisses off those behind you.
· Don’t interject yourself in between military convoy vehicles if they are one behind the other – for the same reasons you don’t let cars into a bike pack.
· While staying friendly, don’t touch, offer to shake hands, hug or call "Brother/Bro" riders you don't know real well. Some bikers (certain Vets and ALL 1%'ers) find this VERY disrespectful if they share nothing with you other than the fact you are on 2 wheels.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts