·
.45 Goodness
3,078 Posts
Always check your six!

Even out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree about pulling along side a rider I don't know at a stop. Won't do that, unless specifically invited. I'll ride staggered if I come up behind someone already in the lane and give them that lane. NEVER pass in the same lane.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey Cage that is just to much info to remember yet do, or don't.:banghead:

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Hey Cage that is just to much info to remember yet do, or don't.:banghead:
It's just what you learn know to do and not do, I guess. I don't "think" about it any more than I do about how I should behave in a grocery store from opening a door for a lady or person in a wheel chair to stepping into a aisle to let someone with their kids pass by or step back while scanning a shelf so someone can get a can of tomatoes in front of me to letting someone with a gallon of milk go in front of me when I've got two giant carts full.

Actually, it kind of interesting to write it down because one thing just kept leading to another. Didn't get it all, but didn't write down all I've learned either. Some things just don't apply to everyone...

Pick and choose what you want. Not all of us are going to behave exactly alike...and that's probably a GOOD thing in the long run. :cheers:

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Cage, as usual has listed a complete edition.

One thing, though, perhaps it's because I'm still a youngin' to riding, but I 'enjoy' not staggering... I mean assuming it's someone I know and trust, and generally has only happened at large rallys when there's bikes everywhere... but it's fun. Normal riding, even with groups, and highways... STAGGERED... but for those few times we don't... that chit is fun... almost like a bond that you trust the other guy (gal, in some instances).

Mort

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
I ride staggered most or the times but at a stop I will only pull up when I am invited to talk. I have ridden side by side only on a really wide lane if again invited or want to talk but only if invited. I wave to everyone who rides with respect.

Donut/Doug :) :patriot:

·
Registered
875 Posts
The only one I didnt agree 100% with is parking. when I park at the supermarket I do so in the middle of the space towards the back to make myself as visible to cagers as possible, but if its a big enough spot for someone to park as well then I welcome them. I feel like it protects us both from being "not seen". I spend alot of time in Ybor and Downtown Tampa, if you dont know where that is let me just say parking is a bitch. When I find a spot I park on the outside to make myself seen and leave enough on the inside specifically for another bike.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
It's just what you learn know to do and not do, I guess. I don't "think" about it any more than I do about how I should behave in a grocery store from opening a door for a lady or person in a wheel chair to stepping into a aisle to let someone with their kids pass by or step back while scanning a shelf so someone can get a can of tomatoes in front of me to letting someone with a gallon of milk go in front of me when I've got two giant carts full.:cheers:
Hey Cage, Can you come down here and give grocery shopping lessons to the morons in the stores I shop. Hell it's more dangerous then the ride on the bike to get there. :p

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I think Cage pretty well covered it all. For the do know helmet and carry laws of the state before you enter, that is something that should be known in advance of ever taking a tirp which will cross state lines. I took a trip where I actually planned which states to avoid in order for me to not break any carry laws.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
One thing I wanted to add to all the great etiquette here, is something I have been doing since I started riding. If I come up on someone and I have the right of way and they wait, I nod or wave. I especially do this to someone who was gonna pull out but looked twice and stopped because they saw me. To me it is one way to connect with a cager who may change their opinion and awareness of riders. And the looking twice is exactly what may save one of us or an innocent little kid on a bike. Just my .02

·
Registered
875 Posts
One thing I wanted to add to all the great etiquette here, is something I have been doing since I started riding. If I come up on someone and I have the right of way and they wait, I nod or wave. I especially do this to someone who was gonna pull out but looked twice and stopped because they saw me. To me it is one way to connect with a cager who may change their opinion and awareness of riders. And the looking twice is exactly what may save one of us or an innocent little kid on a bike. Just my .02
+1 I try and do that too. I even took advice from this page today. A little girl leaned out the school bus window and gave me thumbs up I did it back and they all oooo ahhhhhd lol. It was funny, had to be there

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
+1 I try and do that too. I even took advice from this page today. A little girl leaned out the school bus window and gave me thumbs up I did it back and they all oooo ahhhhhd lol. It was funny, had to be there
Nice, been there and done that many times. Awesome.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Awesome Feedback Cage, Much Respect... Ok so I meet a guy at work today Harley rider who carries one of those little bats that truck drivers use to check there inner tires with. If a car cuts him off or comes into his lane he smashes their side view mirror off. I am guessing this is a Don't since I am sure its not widely accepted. Must be a Harley thing. I cannot say I have not had bad thoughts myself ever since a car in Phoenix decided they wanted my lane and knocked me off of a Honda VT500FT Ascot. But since that I naturally picked up my leg and would push off against the driver door if I saw it happening again. I am hoping with the VTX and Vance & Hines Big Shoots I will be heard and not have to worry.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Awesome Feedback Cage, Much Respect... Ok so I meet a guy at work today Harley rider who carries one of those little bats that truck drivers use to check there inner tires with. If a car cuts him off or comes into his lane he smashes their side view mirror off. I am guessing this is a Don't since I am sure its not widely accepted. Must be a Harley thing. I cannot say I have not had bad thoughts myself ever since a car in Phoenix decided they wanted my lane and knocked me off of a Honda VT500FT Ascot. But since that I naturally picked up my leg and would push off against the driver door if I saw it happening again. I am hoping with the VTX and Vance & Hines Big Shoots I will be heard and not have to worry.
:rolleyes: If that guy actually did that, I doubt he would live to tell about it after a time or two. :nope:

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Well, trust me Will. That's not a "Harley" thing, that is an anger management issue. LOL. Now we have all had these thoughts but have never acted on them. I'm not judging anyone here, just know plenty of people who have that problem and have never touched a bike, let alone a Harley. LOL

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Woody I would say you are very right, he did not appear to be playing with a full deck. So Don't Attack the Cagers, Do use the Horn. Got it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I guess I got issues then. If you hit them mirrors just right from the top you don't need a bat. Cage you done real good getting all the high points.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts