Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips for removing stock riser (8mx1.25) cap screws without breaking them? I have a 2005 bike, and I trying to remove the top two to mount a tachometer bracket with longer screws. Also, is A2-70 stainless an acceptable material for those longer screws? I am worried that it isn't strong enough, and have been told by the bracket manufacturer that I should use "grade 8" or better. I think the A2-70 is a good bit less strong than standard "grade 8". Thanks for all help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not talking about the caps themselves. Did that. The 8mx1.25 bolts that hold the clamps together are socket head cap screws. Removed one, I am afraid I am going to twist the other off. Trying a little impact, maybe a little heat gun use will help.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,319 Posts
Have you tried penetrating oil? If you use an allen wrench and a short cheater, you shouldn't have any problem. Tapping on them might help as well. Use some anti seize when you put them back together.

I was curious about the screws you mention as I never heard of them, so I did some research and found the A2-70 has a tensile strength of 700 while a standard grade 8 is only 150.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I did get a 3/8 drive x 6mm hex and used my 3/8 ratchet. The second screw did break loose with a snap today(really scary). Was able to put the new ones in with the torque wrench.

MPD193, thanks for your help with research. I used the wrong term when calling them "grade 8", but that is what the bracket maker called them. Looking at the Wikipedia page, I should have called them by their metric description of Clas 8.8. Class 8.8 is stronger in both yield strength and tensile.

Now, to remove the tank and do the electrical connections for the tach!

Again, thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts