Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 1800R that I picked up this past February from a friend who let it sit in his garage for an extended period. It went an entire year without even being started. I put in a new battery, changed the oil and filled it up with fresh gas. I have only put about 500 miles on it since then (bike only has 2800 total) and up until recently it was running great. Now it is idleing very rough, so much so that it has cut off at a stop light. Sometimes I get a whiff of raw fuel but its not constant and hard to tell if its my bike or someone else in traffic. It also seems to be loosing power, I would normally attribute this to me getting used to the power but when I pin it from a stand still I get no tire spin where it would spin before. It does seem to still feel good when going highway speeds and passing.

I pulled the spark plugs and found alot of buildup so I replaced them with bosch 4419s. No change at all!! I have messged with the idle screw which just makes the idle bounce around and never level out. The only other thing I can think of is the injectors got some junk in them from the gas that sat in the tank. Just seems like I would have had this problem sooner. Is sea foam okay to use? If so how much in a tank. Or do you think it could be something else?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Oh, also wanted to add that I recently moved from FL to NC and the problem started once in NC. But I figured this was coicidence.

·
Registered
743 Posts
FPR or a vacuum leak. Check the hoses and the intake boots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled the line off the top of the FPR (from the 90 degree nipple) there was no fuel in the vacuume line, but when I turn the ignition on to let the FI cut on fuel shot out of the same FPR nipple. So, thats a bad FPR correct?

Its getting worse to, the bike will not start unless you twist the throttle and the brand new plugs I put in are soaked in gas.

If thats the case, where is the best place to pick up a new FPR?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
bike bandit or direct line parts

And change your oil! you probably have fuel in it now with the bad FPR

·
Registered
743 Posts
I pulled the line off the top of the FPR (from the 90 degree nipple) there was no fuel in the vacuume line, but when I turn the ignition on to let the FI cut on fuel shot out of the same FPR nipple. So, thats a bad FPR correct?

Its getting worse to, the bike will not start unless you twist the throttle and the brand new plugs I put in are soaked in gas.

Thanks for all the help.
No. It requires vacuum to close the check valve. Removing the vacuum allows the check valve to open and gas will flow out. If you remove the vacuum line with the key off, there should be no fuel coming out. Check for a vacuum leak, probably loose intake boots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I ordered a FPR anyway, so at least I will have an extra one if I need it. I will check for a vacuum leak. Would a vac leak also cause the plugs to foul?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, how many other ways are there for fuel to get into the oil? I am going to do the ground fix and also the FPR. I'll post back up if I'm still having a problem after that.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Fuel in the oil gets there thru the cylinders. You'll find oil in the airbox, from the PCV, that will smell a little like gas. If you had gas in the oil, it will show up in the airbox. Drain the catch tube at the bottom.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like what I just went through this weekend and the fuel pressure regulator fixed it for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm getting conflicting information on if the FPR should be spitting fuel from the vacuum side with the vacuum line removed, but based on what I have read I'm pretty conviced thats my issue as well. My new FPR should be here by this weekend so I'll find out when I replace it. Just hope I havent done any damage to the motor. The oil is thin enough to drip off the dip stick, but I have only put a couple hundred miles on it since the last oil change.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Change it anyway, I left the dip stick out for a night or two to let the gas evaporate and then drained the oil the day before and let it drain for a hour or so while I did the plugs and other stuff. Do it right the first time. When I pulled the vacuum line off and hit the on switch I saw just a bit of vapor and a drop of fuel come out, I hit it a few times to make sure I knew what I was seeing and the FPR fixed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts