Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gee folks, I haven't been on here an a long time! The X is just so darn reliable I rarely need do anything to it. Last couple days that changed. It started idling kinda rough and sometimes stalling. So I turned in the idle screw a bit. It doesn't quit now, but sounds like it's hitting kinda hard... with a random popping sound? Still has plenty of power off-idle, but not smooth? A hint of the popping thing even at speed. I changed the plugs and air filter. Fresh gas and added a bit of Seafoam to it. It did not cure the problem.

So, I am wondering what to check next? Figured I'd ask here because some of you guys know a lot more than I do about maintaining VTX 1300's?

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks, Brick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you checked to make sure that you are getting proper spark at the spark plugs? Crappy wires and make this happen causing some what of a misfire?

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Make sure the "choke" knob is seated completely...Even if it's out just a little bit, that'll be dumping alot of extra fuel into the carb and foul the plugs....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
might sound silly, but is it possible that one of the spark plug boots (wire) did not get put back on properly? They can be tricky to seat properly. Wires or choke come to mind first with those symptoms. Bry

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem Solved! Kinds, Sorta... heh heh

Yep... After a couple days of noodling around doing most everything you guys suggested... It's fixed! Although I am not exactly sure what did it? It was prolly a good time for an oil change and new plugs anyway. So... Yesterday I removed the tank and airbox and really looked for any possible problems. The only thing I could find was a possible vacuum leak or two in the smaller hoses that go to the petcock and carb... The ends looked slightly split so I cut off 1/4 inch or so and hooked 'em back up. I'll get some new hose later. Since I was going to replace my dented gas tank anyway; I swapped the petcock & filter to the new tank. Everything looked normal, no rust or crud after 6 years. I didn't mess with the carb or A/F screw because it had worked so well for so long at 2-1/2 turns. Put it all back together and it cranked up and ran like it was new... Well maybe a bit better with the mods! Put about 100 miles on it since and everything is just fine. Now all I need to do is paint the fenders to match my nice black dent-free tank!

Thanks guys for all the good advise! :D

~ Brick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts