Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Deactivated Account
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I briefly saw a scooter with some extra lights mounted down low, sort of like fog lights. I'm not planning on riding in the fog if I can help it, but these illuminated the front wheel and made the bike super-visible from the front and especially the side.

I've wanted some more lighting to make me more visible, but haven't wanted a light bar. I think those make the turn signals harder for other drivers to see.

I've looked at some mounts that go on the frame tubing and they might make it possible for the lights to clear the radiator.

I'm wondering if anyone here has added lights down low like this?

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Do a search for "Wal Mart Lights" or "WalMart Lights".

$15

I put mine on top of my highway bars. Makes a HUGE difference for Very Little Cost.

-Gonz

·
FDC !! The Real Truth...
855 Posts
I run a set of Big Bike Bullets up top and another set of walmart ovals down low on either side of the radiator area myself.. makes a world of difference in both what you see and how you are seen.... great additions big time...

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
I run a set of Kurys' big bullets off of my cruiser peg mounts. Real low, but not in the scrape zone. Huge improvement in both seeing and being seen. I currentlyhave mine wired to flash in sequence with the corresponding turn signal.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's a pic of mine with 55W HD lights mounted on the engine guards. The triangle effect it creates really increases visibility kinda like a train with thier 3 point lights. My bike looks a lot different now but this pic features the lights.

·
Registered
478 Posts
this is from where i was making my brackets to set mine as low as possible. i don't have them wired up though. i've seen a few bikes with them really low and i like it a lot.

hoping to do the wiring over the winter. had to get the brackets powder coated and i wanted to take my time wiring 'cause i've never added extra wiring to a motorcycle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I added 55W driving lights only to find that they were killing the battery because the charging system could not keep up with the demand. I found that the charging system could only support 25W bulbs and keep the battery charged at the same time. Honda's lightbar has 25W bulbs...hmm.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Forget about adding driving lights or a light bar, unless that is the look you are after. Get an HID setup for your headlight. The light output of the HID will blow away any halogen headlight and driving light combo. This way you can get the most light possible on the road and maintain a clean look to the front end.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I added 55W driving lights only to find that they were killing the battery because the charging system could not keep up with the demand. I found that the charging system could only support 25W bulbs and keep the battery charged at the same time. Honda's lightbar has 25W bulbs...hmm.
I have been running 100W drivers and upped the main to a 80/100W for about a year now with no problems. You must have had a marginal battery.

·
Deactivated Account
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

I'll remember to use 25W lamps. I never though about using the radiator bolts. I'll have to check that out. I was thinking of using some P clamps or oyster clamps on the frame tubing. I don't have crash bars, so that's not an option. I admire people that can fabricate their parts, but I barely have tools, let alone machining equipment.

I have though about an HID conversion, but I don't need to draw any more attention from the Man. On bike nights I sometimes have more than a couple.

·
Registered
478 Posts
there's another experiment, i couldn't afford to try it but would probaly look good if it worked.

honda furys have that little radiator scoop that has two small light spaces built into it. that's what first gave me the idea, but the thing cost something like $300 (i think, been a while since i looked at it) and the lights are extra.

plus being it's for a fury i didn't want to try coming up with the cash and not be able to adapt it to my vtx cleanly, so i let that idea go. if you lucked across one used and cheap, or knew someone with the scoop that would let you hold it up to your bike and eyeball it for fit i think it would be a good look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have some yellow fog lights mounted on the lower side of the crash bar, I think they are pia knock offs. They are pretty bright and they distinguish my bike from the car behind me, ( I have had cars turn left in front of me after dark thinking I was the left head light of the car behind me )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts