Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a pair of used saddle bags . The top of each bag has 3 rows of studs on it . All of them have a little rust . A few have a lot . Is there anyone else who is anal enough to want to remove the rust and paint them black or apply some other kind of protective coating ? If you are , give me some kind of advice here . I was thinking Dremel or something like that . Thanks .

· From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
559 Posts
You might try #0000 steel wool. I have used that to clean up rust on chrome parts in the past. It may not help if they are completely rusted, but it will remove some of the surface rust.

Ride Safe

· Registered
18,976 Posts
You might try #0000 steel wool. I have used that to clean up rust on chrome parts in the past. It may not help if they are completely rusted, but it will remove some of the surface rust.

Ride Safe
The only problem I see is that the area immediately around the raised stud is going to get scuffed too.

Reactions: 68valiant

· Registered
143 Posts
Just an alternative to consider, I really like Rust Converter for dealing with rust. Paints on like white milk with a brush or whatever and turns black when it reacts with rust. Totally compatible with paint but don't need to as it is also a sealant. It will not react to metal that is not rusted, just turns mostly like a transparent black on those surfaces. But if you wanted to paint over it wouldn't matter anyway. Used it for years on countless projects and always been very happy with the results.

Below you can see a before and after with that flat steel channel I use as a work surface for welding and other projects, also used the converter on the machined surfaces of the band saw they were rusty, rebuilt the base stand of the saw.
Bottle Road surface Grass Wood Asphalt
Plant Grass Gas Machine Motor vehicle
Wheel Asphalt Grass Gas Road surface

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an alternative to consider, I really like Rust Converter for dealing with rust. Paints on like white milk with a brush or whatever and turns black when it reacts with rust. Totally compatible with paint but don't need to as it is also a sealant. It will not react to metal that is not rusted, just turns mostly like a transparent black on those surfaces. But if you wanted to paint over it wouldn't matter anyway. Used it for years on countless projects and always been very happy with the results.

Below you can see a before and after with that flat steel channel I use as a work surface for welding and other projects, also used the converter on the machined surfaces of the band saw they were rusty, rebuilt the base stand of the saw.
View attachment 245834 View attachment 245835 View attachment 245836
I like the sound of that . I 'll look for a bottle . Thanks.

· Registered
3 Posts
Picked up a pair of used saddle bags . The top of each bag has 3 rows of studs on it . All of them have a little rust . A few have a lot . Is there anyone else who is anal enough to want to remove the rust and paint them black or apply some other kind of protective coating ? If you are , give me some kind of advice here . I was thinking Dremel or something like that . Thanks .
Mix up a paste of Barkeepers Friend (oxalic acid) and dab it on. 30 minutes and rinse off. Finish up with #0000 wool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts