Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to outfit my new 1800F with some slick looking saddlebags.
I did a bit of research and settled on some Slant and Crusi'n Saddlemen bags with supports and quick detach kit.

Even made sure it fit my bike, according to the chart on the website anyway.

Sorted.....?

Well not really, completely forgot I had an aftermarket back rest, so the trouble begins.

Basically my supports come with a variety of replacement bolts to attach into the rear fenders however they use the first and last bolt whereas the after market back rest uses 1st and 2nd and covers up the 3rd hole. Bugger!

So my only option is to drill a clearance hole at the correct spacing.
Not a problem, I guess.

Anyway, eager to get the saddlebags on, I ditch the back rest.
Now we are burning rubber, but wait the bolt kit that is supplied is too SHORT to provide enough clearance past the fat shock to allow the docking post fit into the saddlebags.

I'm stumped at this stage.

Hoping someone already has a solution/work around for this.

I'm guessing I need longer threaded rods, only issue is my local hardware stores all seem to carry only imperial.

Help....please

JP

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ive got the same bags on mine I put them on a 1800c if that makes a difference I used the ghost brackets and did not try to go over the shocks but just behind them i will post a pick to show you. I used all the factory hardwhare and I have a cobra backrest. hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fastenal is also a good source for bolts. I had the same problem with mine. Couldn't find bolts long enough. I got lucky and found them at a small hardware store.

·
Super Moderator
10,740 Posts
<snip>I'm guessing I need longer threaded rods, only issue is my local hardware stores all seem to carry only imperial.

Help....please

JP
If you need metric threaded rod but can't find it, buy a long metric bolt with the correct thread pitch, saw off the bolt head, and file/lightly grind the sharp/rough cut edges.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts