Discussion Starter #1
fresh Kale cut to bite size
fresh tomotoes cut/diced
cucumber cut/diced
red onion cut/diced
boiled egg cut/diced
banana peppers
jalepeno seeded, cut/diced
1 cup shredded cheese (of your choice...i use monterey jack mixed with cheddar)
choice of chicken, tuna, crab, steak

dressing
1/8th cup of balsamic vinegar
1/8th cup light olive oil
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon salt (i use sea or kosher)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (i use white pepper)
a pinch of garlic or 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic (which i use)

mix well and pour over salad. toss salad and enjoy a nice and light lunch on a 90-100 degree day. this meal provides a balance between carbs (from the veggies), protein, and fats (good ones).

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bryden, that'll work lol...
john, it will fill you up and last for a good portion of the day without getting hungry. when i do get hungry between meals, i just have a protein shake or eat some cheese on crackers with a glass of milk or 2 glasses of water...then again, i eat 6 small meals a day (well, maybe not small but i do eat 6 times) with a balance of the 3 macro nutrients in each meal. i also take a multivitiam because no matter how much i eat of the veggies, i still lack in some areas (proof is in the blood test i do every 6 months) due to chemicals used on the veggies and because dirt is lacking many micro nurtrients due to droughts, etc which robs nutrients from the veggies...for as many who think you don't need a multivitamin, there's another that says you do. if you don't know which way to go, get a full physical with blood work and you'll be surprised at what your body is lacking

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hmmm, I do like to eat healthy about 50% of the time. I have always had a very active metabolism and can usually eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I snack on junk (usually) throughout the day but about 5 years ago discovered I have high cholesterol so I'm on simvastatin for that. I (at the most) was about 15 lbs overweight but started going to the gym and cutting back on carbs and that is down. So all that said, while I do have good intentions I really enjoy a juicy cheesburger too much to give them up entirely!!

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
john, i eat cheeseburgers too, i just make my own since i have a grinder to blend my own meat with. sorry to hear bout the high cholesterol, that's a bummer!!! i just don't like junk food as in cookies, cakes, etc...instead of eating a candy bar, i eat fruit. instead of eating potato chips, i eat nuts. it all adds up and i like the way i eat lol...i do go out to eat and sometimes i get a hotdog or cheeseburger and i love them. problem is, that my body is not use to it and it doesn't bode well after eating it :)...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sounds like a good salad Jami. Kale is a super food. I have kale in my garden. About to cut it back to regrow. I wish I had started eating healthy at a younger age...so much wasted time. I've lost 35 pounds this year.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i agree marilyn, kale is a super food :)...i put it in soups as well and it changes the flavor for the better, especially in the zuppa tuscano style soup from olive garden...
main thing is that you eat healthy now and from now on out...can't turn back time, but we can slow so i've been told

·
Registered
211 Posts
sorry to hear bout the high cholesterol, that's a bummer!!! i just don't like junk food as in cookies, cakes, etc...instead of eating a candy bar, i eat fruit. instead of eating potato chips, i eat nuts.
Eh, I suppose in the grand scheme, high cholesterol is not too bad, of course it's "manageable with diet and exercise" so I have the exercise part down. I like fruits and veggies and nuts, my problem with nuts is that when I get a can of mixed nuts, I'll eat the whole dang can in one sitting, and then still be hungry.....I do eat alot of salads. I love the flavors of foods to pop out at me and catch my attention. As a result, I tend to have alot of sodium too.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i understand...i like walnuts, so i stay away from buying them too often or i will eat them all..i don't like pistachios that much, so i buy them and force myself to eat them that way i only eat a few (handful) and i'm done and still get my good fats in to help keep my HDL up and my LDL down (along with the oils i use to cook with...coconut, olive oil, and canola). small adjustments go a long way, i just have to limit myself as well on other things or it goes down hill quickly lol

·
Banned
3 Posts
Nice work with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information which we all need, helpful iformation. I would like to thank you for the efforts you shown remarkble writing skill in this nice thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts