Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 VTX, 4500k, Only engine Mod is K&N Air Filter.

Just got a screaming deal (check ebay #ridersdiscount if your looking) on complete exhaust system. Samson Warlord Cannons 114-101. Emailed Samson before purchased and they said the system can be run on my bike w/out baffles even though they do offer a 'quiet' and 'perfomance' baffle for this system.

The advice I need is where to start and what else I should do to the bike other than pulling off the stock exhaust and putting on the new one?

Carb adjustment, new carb, carb work??

I guess Im just reaching out for a stick even though I think I might be able to swim my way through it. Any help of advice would be appreciated.

Sorry in advance to my neighbors who already hate my bike and the strange hours I keep.

Thanks brothers !!

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Nothing. Just put the pipes on with new Crush Gaskets at the headpipes.. Torque them down to 12lb when cold.. Start the engine, heat the pipes up, and torque them to 15lb and you're done.

The stock exhaust has Acorn Nuts for the studs at the headpipes. Aftermarket Flanges are thinner than the stock flanges, so sometimes the acorn nuts Bottom Out before they're actually putting pressure on the flange. Two ways to avoid this: Couple Washers or Regular Nuts.

The whole "You got new pipes, you need to re-jet" thing is from AIR Cooled Engines. We're liquid cooled. Our temperatures remain constant.

Other than that, if you havent turned out the A/F a little on your stock set-up, that's needed regardless of pipes.

-Gonz

·
Registered
59 Posts
2005 VTX
Just got a screaming deal (check ebay #ridersdiscount if your looking) on complete exhaust system. Samson Warlord Cannons 114-101. Emailed Samson before purchased and they said the system can be run on my bike w/out baffles even though they do offer a 'quiet' and 'perfomance' baffle for this system.
I took the same deal! Mine are "in the mail!" :47b20s0: All I can figure is they are discontinued . . . ? They do have the Warlord II now. Let me know what you do about the baffles if you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**BobWiley**

Haven't gotten the time to put them on yet but they are as advertised! brand new, chrome looks perfect. I had emailed back and forth with Samson and all I could get out of them is that they will be making a VERY similar exhaust with a new model number. Baffles will still be interchangable which is always great news

**Gonz**

Thanks for your advice and knowledge. Forums like this and answers like you gave are what make riding a HONDA great. Ride Strong bro!!

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,193 Posts
You will love the pipes but be prepared to go to hardware store most of the bolts in the kit are not the length you need.

Didn't see it mentioned but get the pipes clean before you fire it up, any finger prints will get stuck on the chrome finish if the pipes are not clean.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You will love the pipes but be prepared to go to hardware store most of the bolts in the kit are not the length you need.

Didn't see it mentioned but get the pipes clean before you fire it up, any finger prints will get stuck on the chrome finish if the pipes are not clean.
Thanks for the heads up Indy! Like clean = wiped down w alcohol or clean = shiny waxed?

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,193 Posts
Just clean.

I used glass cleaner and couple microfiber towels.

Alcohol would probably work too just get all the smudges and fingerprints off and you'll be fine.
It says that in the instructions but worth repeating, permanent fingerprints would suck. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been hearing mixed replies regarding the fit of these pipes on a 1300 C model. Most say they won't fit, but I emailed Samson and just got the reply back that they supposedly come with the required bracket to fit them on a C. Their website also lists them to fit all 1300 models. I had been looking at these pipes (considering the sale price) for a while, but just took it that they fit the R/S only. After seeing the seller on ebay selling them for $216.00 shipped, I had to pull the trigger and take my chances. Worst comes to worse, I'll make a bracket myself to make em work. Should take a week or so to get them in and get time to install them, so i'll update if this indeed the case....

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,193 Posts
Bracket mounts to frame and frame is the same so you should be fine.
Keep in mind though if you ordered the Warlord I they will extend far past the C rear fender.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well got the pipes in and everything was there to mount it right up on my 1300 C. Well, I say everything..... as many have stated in the past, their bolt kit they send sucks...I had to scavenge around to get the right sized bolts to complete the install, but the bracket was there to bolt right up so no biggie.

They really don't stick out past the rear fender or tire. A little long for the C yes, but not bad looking.....especially for the price. I love the sound, but I don't really like the open pipe sound on deceleration or letting off the throttle between gears....

I guess I'll seek out some baffles. I really don't want to quieten it down, just tame the straight pipe popping on deceleration (not backfire popping due to leak or pair valve). I noticed on the Samson site they have long and short baffles. Anyone tried either so they could recommend which way I need to go?

EDIT:
I emailed Samson regarding this question and they suggested I try a set of torque cones. They seemed to think the sound I'm hearing is from exhaust reversion. I believe before I buy anything I'm going to make me up a couple "lollipops" and put in the end of the pipes where the hole is to bolt in a baffle. They're cheap, quick, and easy to install and maybe I might get lucky and it will change it just enough....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts