Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got a 2005 VTX 1300s from work for free. Literally grabbed it off the forklift as they where putting it in the scrap metal bin. I figured it was probably shot or stolen originally and planned to part it out or use the engine and trans to build something else. But i ran the vin and it came back clean. So i started messing with it. Now i have a bike that runs great but is missing alot of pieces.

What I'm planning to do since this thing has no body parts/seat is turn it into a bobber.
First problem with that is it needs a gastank the one that was on it has been crushed, beat with a hammer and shot at. All the model specific tanks I've found are ridiculously expensive for used tanks. Does anyone know if a fury/split harley tanks or another tank will fit over the backbone? If it does i can make it work.

Tldr: I need a gas tank and I'm cheap.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Try a motorcycle scrap yard. The tanks are very expensive from most sources.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a motorcycle scrap yard. The tanks are very expensive from most sources.
I've looked around locally and haven't found any 1300 tanks (few smaller ones thats it). Online I've found a few but they want 300+ for tanks that are rusted out and crushed, 600+ for useable lightly damaged ones, and 1200 for like new ones. Compared to other bikes that's ridiculous. Honestly if the fury tank's tunnel is wide enough I'd rather fabricate some mounts ,a remote pedcock and put it on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This sounds like a super fun project. I also pick up old bikes and work on them as a hobby. I would not settle for an expensive tank if I were you . Id leave this bike aside and let it take a while to finish and just keep looking for parts you need and wait for them to become available and cheap and then grab them. In other words just keep looking until you find someone parting out a vtx and selling the tank for a decent price. Keep looking on sites and eventually you'll get one for a good price. Dont settle with what there asking for I usually message them and try and bargain and tell them no ones buying it anyway LOL . let me know how the job is going here and there like updates if you can I think its a really cool project !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you get the title for it?
Not yet, the easiest way i know of requires it to be street worthy first so it can pass inspection which is the main reason i don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I've got a few other options there tho. But gonna go with the easiest first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This sounds like a super fun project. I also pick up old bikes and work on them as a hobby. I would not settle for an expensive tank if I were you . Id leave this bike aside and let it take a while to finish and just keep looking for parts you need and wait for them to become available and cheap and then grab them. In other words just keep looking until you find someone parting out a vtx and selling the tank for a decent price. Keep looking on sites and eventually you'll get one for a good price. Dont settle with what there asking for I usually message them and try and bargain and tell them no ones buying it anyway LOL . let me know how the job is going here and there like updates if you can I think its a really cool project !
Will try to keep y'all updated, its sort of a slow back burner project right now. Restoring a 77 f100, building up an 05 dakota, rebuilding this bike and a 56 larson at the same time. Plus few of friends projects.
Also, if you put your location here you never know who lives close with extra parts just stored in the garage.
Central Florida

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Whereabouts in central Florida? I spend the 6 winter months in the Villages in central FL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts