Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm handy, but not a mechanic by any means..

I got a quote from a local MC shop of $175 for the following:

Amsoil Oil change + filter
Coolant Flush/Replace
Brake Lines bled/new fluid

Does $175 seem like a fair price?

I honestly don't have the time to do all these things.. so I'm willing to pay the labor as long as I'm not getting shafted.

Same MC Shop offered me an Avon Front tire for $185 mounted/balanced/installed as my stock Dunny has maybe 1k-2k miles left on it.

·
Crusin'
54 Posts
The hardest thing on your list is new engine coolant. However that is not hard at all. The brakes and oil should take an hour tops. The coolant. maybe and hour...That is if you are taking your time. None of it is difficult. I did these things for the first time the other day and it didn't take that long at all. Save your money for gas and do it yourself!!!

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
if you don't have time to do it, then 60/hr is a good rate...all the shops around me charge 55-75/hr...nothing about it's hard, but if you don't have time you don't have time....sometimes, it's simply easier to pay someone if you don't have the time than trying to make the time and rushing the job and screwing something up...
i'm a firm believer in doing it yourself, but i'm also a firm believer in letting someone else do it if time just will not permit....
i've ran into the same situations more than once...so, i either shop it out or let it sit...i know how to do my own work, but i ain't ashamed in letting someone else do it either, then again, i've been around them long enough to know what i want to do with my bike :)....just my opinion and the way i view things..

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Definitely a good rate, if the shop does good work, and you don't have the time.

I do most everything myself, but recently I did a shop run for a similar list you have and bunch more really... I just knew all these things needed to be done, and I did not have the time.

When I do, I not only prefer to do it myself, I 'enjoy' doing it myself... that being said, when I have the time.

Hope that helps.

Mort

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Definitely a good rate, if the shop does good work, and you don't have the time.

I do most everything myself, but recently I did a shop run for a similar list you have and bunch more really... I just knew all these things needed to be done, and I did not have the time.

When I do, I not only prefer to do it myself, I 'enjoy' doing it myself... that being said, when I have the time.

Hope that helps.

Mort
dude, i'm seriously glad to see that i'm not the only one that feels this way...:cheers:
however, the more my son learns about his 4wheeler & my bike (yep, i let him change the oil on my bike 2 weeks ago & then i went back over it behind him.....remember, he's only 8 :D) i may not have to go to the shop when i don't have time anymore...:mosh:

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
dude, i'm seriously glad to see that i'm not the only one that feels this way...:cheers:
however, the more my son learns about his 4wheeler & my bike (yep, i let him change the oil on my bike 2 weeks ago & then i went back over it behind him.....remember, he's only 8 :D) i may not have to go to the shop when i don't have time anymore...:mosh:
Hah! Fantastic. I'll always remember when my mom let me change the oil in her Honda Accord 92' many years ago... I had done it with my dad a bunch over the years, and figured I could alone.

Somehow I drained the transmission oil and double filled (according to the shop we had to take it to) the engine oil.

Thankfully the amazing resilience of the Honda engine it survived even though it always had a whine after that.

Mort:nope:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
is that at a Honda Dealer or a one size fits all shop? The dealer shops around here charge 90-100 dollars per hour, the independent shops a bit less, maybe 75-80 bucks. The rate your being charged is really pretty good. Bry

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Independent shop in town.

Ride safe friends. Try Tapatalk, it rocks!

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Hah! Fantastic. I'll always remember when my mom let me change the oil in her Honda Accord 92' many years ago... I had done it with my dad a bunch over the years, and figured I could alone.

Somehow I drained the transmission oil and double filled (according to the shop we had to take it to) the engine oil.

Thankfully the amazing resilience of the Honda engine it survived even though it always had a whine after that.

Mort:nope:
he did an awesome job, everything was perfect...the only thing i had to do was tighten the plug and filter a little more (he's 8, so i expected that)...he's changed his 4wheeler twice now and he helped bleed the brakes on both the bikes and the 4wheelers...

Independent shop in town.

Ride safe friends. Try Tapatalk, it rocks!
seriously, if you don't have time have someone else do it...nothing wrong with that at all brother.....

I see it this way... If the stealer can do it then so can I!!! And put the money in my pocket...
yeah, it's not hard, but sometimes we honestly just don't have the time to do things we want and sometimes it's just easier and quicker for that particular moment in time.....i do all my own maint. on all my vehicles, even use to do it on my tractor trailers when i owned them, but sometimes i just had to let someone else do it...

·
Registered
912 Posts
$85.00 a hr. at Dealership.If this work includes the oil/filter etc. i would let them do it,heck the oil/filter alone would be at least $58.00 not to mention the labor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts