Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the VTX has noisy lifters being they are solid but dang, really? I have no idea how you guys deal with the noise unless that is one reason for putting on loud pipes :). I have an 06 1300C that has 3000 miles, i put on 600 of those miles since I have owned it (about 3weeks). When i first got the bike it was a little cooler, high 50's mid 60's and never really noticed the noise unless i had been on it for awhile but still not that much. Since the weather has really warmed up (90-101) i really notice the lifters banging. I decided to change the oil and put in synthetic since i had no idea what the previous owner had used. I put in mobile 1 racing and new filter and took it for a ride, still noisy to me. This may be normal and if so then i will learn to ignore it (i hope). Is there an adjustment that needs to be done on new bikes that might not have been done? It only had 2400 miles when i purchased it is why i ask. I wish i knew other riders around that had a VTX that i could compare to.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Have the valves ever been adjusted? Too loose makes a lot of noise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the valves ever been adjusted? Too loose makes a lot of noise.
I have no idea if they have been or not. The bike only has 3000 miles, would that be a normal issue to worry about on low mileage or is that one of those after x miles during bike break in period, bring the bike back and have valves adjusted

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
No noise bad
little noise good
loud noise bad
These bikes tend to be a little noisy.
If you are concerned then just dp a valve check/adjustment.
Hears how.

I hope this will make things easier.

Poison has an excellent write-up procedure on doing the valve adjustment.
http://vtx1300tips.com/Valveadjustingbypoision.pdf
And I would also recommend adding and doing it my way to it.
Donut's Way.
Remember that each person with a feeler gauge may have a little different feeling or opinion with a gauge. When you make the adjustment make sure the gauge is not real long and that it is bent about 1/2 inch in from the end so it doesn't touch the rim around the valve adjusting opening the cant be on an angle. If the gauge has to much friction on it then it will be tight. You should have a hard time inserting the next size larger gauge in. I always check with three gauges. One above and one below the proper gauge.
Remember you will always here light ticking due to the gap that you set in the valve. No ticking I would be worried light ticking OK loud ticking the valves is too loose.
Once you set the valves Don't touch the 4mm or the 10mm nut. Just rotate the engine and then only touch and tighten the 10mm. Don't touch the 4mm.
Then rotate the engine and recheck everything at the FT point (for front) and RT (for rear).
Also tie some string to the gauges - you don't want to drop anything in there as some have done.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Donut's Way.
Doug

Here is the wrench you will need to make it easier.

Sears/Kmart
Craftsman Professional 10 x 11mm Full Polish Deep Offset Wrench, 12 pt. Box End
Part number 44360.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944360000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=

Donut/Doug:patriot:

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Being too losse is VERY rare...Especially if they've never been adjusted before, as they tighten up (get quieter) as the miles pass...

Get used to the noise, it's not a car with the engine isolated from the driver with all that sheetmetal...I've got Vance & Hines Bigshots on my ride and can still hear the engine noise...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have no idea if they have been or not. The bike only has 3000 miles, would that be a normal issue to worry about on low mileage or is that one of those after x miles during bike break in period, bring the bike back and have valves adjusted
The valves should have been checked in the first 1000 miles. It is not a normal issue, but extremely noisy valves aren't normal either.
Checking the valve lash isn't hard to do. If they are within specs then you prolly have just normal noise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Donut sent me some info on checking the valve and I also have a clymer repair book. I think i am going to give checking valves a shot (for peace of mind) and hope i don't mess things up.
I have found a few more posts that seem to describe the sounds I am hearing, it seems that most are saying its normal noise.
Honestly had I heard this noise when i was looking at the bike, I really don't think I would have purchased it. (shrug) maybe nothing will come of it, just hate the fact that the noise is there.
First time owning a bike so hell maybe this is not that big a deal compared to issues with other bikes.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Don't worry - you didn't buy a bad bike. If you go by the instructions I sent you - you will not have any problems - just go slow and remember to not leave anything loose.
Mammy have followed Poisons instructions with no problems at all. And if you do it the Donut's Way it will make it easier yet.

Donut:patriot:

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
You get used to it.. And checking the valves isnt that tough.. Easier if you're double-jointed, sure... but it's not THAT tough... :)

-Gonz

·
Registered
76 Posts
You get used to it.. And checking the valves isnt that tough.. Easier if you're double-jointed, sure... but it's not THAT tough... :)

-Gonz

bareasschoppers has a good write up too. it's a website I guess. He's got a video too. Sounds much more intimidating than it actually is. Just don't ding your tank with shifting handlebars like I did. Pisses you off for the rest of the day.

DAve

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just so you know...there are no lifters. It's an overhead cam, rockers only. More noise when riding in hot weather is normal. Won't hurt anything to check the valve lash.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My exhaust valves were set from the factory loose. This is going back 3 years ago, so I don't remember for sure but I think one was almost double the clearance of factory specs. The other one was off a little bit but not as bad. Easy to adjust, just take your time and line up your front and rear timing marks correctly when checking them. Don't confuse the sound loose valves make with the normal engine sounds. The VTX has a fairly noisy motor when everything is perfectly adjusted. When I first got mine I was paranoid about the sounds even after setting the valves properly. I visited 2 different dealers and both said the same thing after listening to and riding my bike, normal VTX noises. Check your valves and if they are in spec, just learn to tell yourself the bike is fine and ignore it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts