Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following a thread on another forum regarding shaft vs chain vs belt. One guy (who claims to be a mechanic) gave a long list of stuff he has to do to maintain the shaft drive on his Vulcan 750. I have owned several shaft drive bikes, and never had to do more than just change the oil and lube splines at the final drive. I looked at the service manual, and all it shows is change the final drive oil every 24,000 miles.

What do you do to maintain your shaft drive, and how often do you do it?

thanks

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I have worked on Goldwings since 1975... and all the other driveshaft Honda bikes... lots of them..

change the Lube every year... wheel to drive splines every time the wheel is removed. moly grease. unless you darksided...

the "U-Joints" are NOT serviceable. leave them alone .. unless there is a problem.. figure 150,000 miles before needed look-see.
NOTE: my 83 Wing. I put 150,000 miles in it... from NEW... and the U-Joints" still have zero loose-ness...

the Honda final drive system is the most reliable system on the road.... Period.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I change the Final Drive Fluid once per year, in the spring.

One Quart is $12 (Mobil1 Full Synthetic, 75w-90)

One Quart is 32 Ounces.

Our finals take 4oz.

So, $12 is good for Eight Years...

Yeah... too cheap NOT to change once a year.

-Gonz

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I have been following a thread on another forum regarding shaft vs chain vs belt. One guy (who claims to be a mechanic) gave a long list of stuff he has to do to maintain the shaft drive on his Vulcan 750. I have owned several shaft drive bikes, and never had to do more than just change the oil and lube splines at the final drive. I looked at the service manual, and all it shows is change the final drive oil every 24,000 miles.

What do you do to maintain your shaft drive, and how often do you do it?

thanks
Ditto for Mooneydriver...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have worked on Goldwings since 1975... and all the other driveshaft Honda bikes... lots of them..

change the Lube every year... wheel to drive splines every time the wheel is removed. moly grease. unless you darksided..

the "U-Joints" are NOT serviceable. leave them alone .. unless there is a problem.. figure 150,000 miles before needed look-see.
NOTE: my 83 Wing. I put 150,000 miles in it... from NEW... and the U-Joints" still have zero loose-ness...

the Honda final drive system is the most reliable system on the road.... Period.
Ok??? My question on this is what is different with darkside. I've been considering going darkside. Is it just that you don't have the darkside off as much? Thanks

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Ok??? My question on this is what is different with darkside. I've been considering going darkside. Is it just that you don't have the darkside off as much? Thanks
the difference. is the amount of time (miles) it takes to need replacement of rear tire..
motorcycle tire... 5,000 to 12,000 miles till replacement
car tire on motorcycle... 20,000 to 30,000 miles.. if you do not pull rear wheel off .. every 10,000 or so.. and grease the splines.. = no more splines.

·
Registered
117 Posts
the difference. is the amount of time (miles) it takes to need replacement of rear tire..
motorcycle tire... 5,000 to 12,000 miles till replacement
car tire on motorcycle... 20,000 to 30,000 miles.. if you do not pull rear wheel off .. every 10,000 or so.. and grease the splines.. = no more splines.
I suspected that was it but wanted to make fer sure.. Thank you sir..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can I ask y'all how much of the honda moly grease do I need to apply to the splines when changing my rear tire?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Got it. I just got thur putting it together and that's what I did. Went darkside. And the test ride was AWESOME. Don't think I'll be going back to a regular MC tire anytime soon.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
When gear oil change is due - prep the zone so when you get back and the final is nice and warm - then dump it - to sit over night.

Reach in with Q-tip to remove any trash left.

Make sure to clean the metal trash off the end of plug magnet.
I upgraded the drain plug by placing a super high power magnet same size as the plug-
head right on the plug.

Blends in with it's nickel plating.

·
Need more road time!!
1,308 Posts
Where did you get the magnet and what size? Thank you.
I upgraded the drain plug by placing a super high power magnet same size as the plug-
head right on the plug.

Blends in with it's nickel plating.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts

D18x3mm N38 NiCuNi Plated Disc Magnet

If I was at the shop - I'd just send ya a couple.

I usually order $100 of assorted of this type to a few of the largest.
I use quite a few along the edge of Lift Table - for most of the tools used for the day.
Holds the air chuck solid & always there -

Out doors - rapping snowblower to JohnDeere super tight with canvas.

The power is insane & a bit painful if flesh gets between a pair that find each other.
Bandaid supply is restocked.

If there's any microscopic trace of metal in the lube - there's no escape.
Why regrind it again - gears naturally shed as they wear.
Put one on the oil filter - when cutting it open after 5-8K - see what it kept.

This is the one in the link - About a $1.50 each.
18mm x 3mm

I did learn a little using these in places not approved -
Like the Toaster Oven in the shop -
I wanted magnet to keep temp gauge in view inside -
Then noticed one day it had fallen off - the magnet when heated to 400F just about looses any magnetic property.
Bummer, dead helper.

I'll add -
When soldering 2 wires on the bench - and you want perfection & zero movement - they're not going anywhere.
Just placing these disc magnets over the wires & joint held close.

Charging the Scoot battery - There's custom lead hot from circuit panel.
Ground - any bolt - but ground clamp can't grab it-
Place magnet on bolt - grabs & holds ground solid.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can I ask y'all how much of the honda moly grease do I need to apply to the splines when changing my rear tire?
I am not sure but I think you need to use Moly Paste. I was told that Moly Paste and Moly Grease are to different things. The service manual calls for the Paste.

Vince

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,193 Posts
I am not sure but I think you need to use Moly Paste. I was told that Moly Paste and Moly Grease are to different things. The service manual calls for the Paste.

Vince
Good catch!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts