Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting last summer, I noticed a slight wobble in the steering/handlebars at 40-50 mph, especially on de-accel. It really hasn't been a problem because it was so subtle and went away after 50 mph. The wobble is getting steadily worse... Its bad enough now that I am afraid to take my hands off of the grips at 40-50 mph. after 50, its completely fine. Here are some factors:

Dunlope tires last summer less than 3000 miles ago... look to be in good shape
ape hanger handlebars
permanent windshield

What might the issue be? bent wheel? forks need to be rebuilt? fork bearings? Thanks for the help.

·
9,160 Posts
Steering bearings are the first thing. The stock bearings are crap, need to change them out to all balls ASAP. You'll love the new feel when you do.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Probably 2000 posts/threads on this problem...Steering head bearings need to be replaced/upgraded to All Balls tapered roller bearing setup...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great. I was hoping to find that this is a common problem with a likely solution. Isn't that a great feeling? :47b20s0:
I'll do a ton of research on where to get All Balls and how to install. Any common snags or best methods I should know about?

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Best method is find a tech session you can attend and have it done there with help from somebody else that has done that job before...Quite involved, as the entire front fork assembly has to come off the bike...Parts are about $40 or so, but lots of labor involved...

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,524 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha. I have rebuilt a couple of forks on dirtbikes and one honda shadow, I'll prolly get my brother involved. Thanks a ton. I run any ideas through you guys BEFORE I screw something up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha. I have rebuilt a couple of forks on dirtbikes and one honda shadow, so removing/re-installing the front end will just be busy work. I'll get my bro involved for extra hands. Will I need a bearing press??

·
9,160 Posts
Best method is find a tech session you can attend and have it done there with help from somebody else that has done that job before...Quite involved, as the entire front fork assembly has to come off the bike...Parts are about $40 or so, but lots of labor involved...
It takes a special tool and some extra hands. It helps if you can get to a tech session.

+100 to both of these posts.

The part number you need is 22-1020. Check it out on Amazon @ $23.69 with free shipping. Also, just a heads up, when you disassemble and see the stock bearings don't panic about the difference in appearance between them and the All-Balls, they look nothing alike. At first I thought I had the wrong parts but the guys that were helping told me they were correct, and they were!

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
You do not need a bearing press but some styles of bearing presses could be used. Our technique at tech sessions is to use a bit more "brute force" to both remove the old races/bearings and to insert the new ones. We use a 3 lb hammer and a 4" square by 1/4" thick steel plate to pound in the races in the top and bottom of the fork tube. Be aware that the races bottom out such that the race will sit below the lip of the fork tube. To drive the new race below the lip of the fork tube, you simply use the old race as a temporary tool. Put the old race on top of the new race, put the steel plate on the old race, and hit the steel plate until the new race bottoms out. There are a number of little tricks and some home-made tools that are used. As others noted, a tech session is your best option but it can be done yourself with at least one and, preferably, two helpers.

To remove the race from the steering stem shaft, you do NOT have to cut it with a dremel. Just use a cold chisel and the 3 lb hammer. Drive the chisel at a 90 degree angle into the joint between the race and the seating lip on the shaft. This will drive the race upward about 1/16 to 1/8". Once there is a little gap below the race, you can put one end of a 1/4" steel rod on the race and hammer the other end of the rod to drive the race upwards and off the shaft.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 11 of 11 Posts