Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Shaky handlebars

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  josekim01 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,

I have a 2002 Honda VTX1800R and the handlebars are very shaky. Any suggestion on what the problem might be and how to fix it would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
Maybe re-torque the steering neck bearings? These usually don't work loose, but just maybe?

#6 ·
Define "shakey". I've found that most shakes and vibration problems in the handlebars stem from bad front tires.
Do you mean "Vibration" or do you mean handlebars "shaking" back and forth(wobble), vibration could be a multitude of things, shaking back and forth, as mentioned above, is usually a bad tire or neck bearings need adjusting or replaced

#7 ·
The definitive test for steering bearing problems is to get up to about 45 mph on a straight level road. Take your hands off the grips but keep them where you can rapidly regrip when needed. As the bike slows, does the steering start to wobble back and forth getting worse with time and as you slow? If so, this is usually a sign of bad or loose steering bearings. On a 1300 it could be either the bad stock bearings or a loose castle nut holding the steering stem in place and putting the correct force on the bearings. On an 1800 which comes with the better performing taper/needle bearings, these usually do not go bad but, rather, the castle nut can become loose.

Reactions: PaXman11
#9 ·
I've been on the VTX Cafe for a long time and have never before heard the term "dog bones" - at least not in this context. What are these "dog bone" parts of which you speak?

#11 ·
Haha, whippersnappers don't know the terms from 'back in the day'. It's OK, Jim's a smart cookie and willing to learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.