Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally took the plunge and did the shallow clayton mod on my 1300S/Retro tonight. I was looking for more noise but not too much, more for personal preference, but also for making cages hear me more.

I did my own version and used a 1/4 inch pilot hole and finished with a 5/8. I did 4 holes in each at 4, 6, 8, and 10 o'clock. All I can say is WOW. Gives it a deeper tone and sounds awesome. Glad I did it, not sure why I waited, but I am a very happy boy right now. :mosh:

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good for you, a great way to deepen shound until you can buy pipes, it worked for me for 2 years. Enjoy
Thanks Mike. Yeah, I think I can live with this for awhile. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get this big grin off my face. LOL, ah, WTH, I think I'll keep it there a little while. :D

Cool! Drilling is addictive. :)
Yeah Ray, put some power tools in my hands and I can become quite dangerous/creative at times. LOL ;)

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Well, I finally took the plunge and did the shallow clayton mod on my 1300S/Retro tonight. I was looking for more noise but not too much, more for personal preference, but also for making cages hear me more.

I did my own version and used a 1/4 inch pilot hole and finished with a 5/8. I did 4 holes in each at 4, 6, 8, and 10 o'clock. All I can say is WOW. Gives it a deeper tone and sounds awesome. Glad I did it, not sure why I waited, but I am a very happy boy right now. :mosh:
At the 6-o'clock spot there's a capped tube inside the pipes...Drill a hole in the end of that and the tone will go considerably deeper, without added volume....Sounds even better!!...:cool:

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the 6-o'clock spot there's a capped tube inside the pipes...Drill a hole in the end of that and the tone will go considerably deeper, without added volume....Sounds even better!!...:cool:

Hey far in is it? Been told to go deep to the inner baffle too.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Hey far in is it? Been told to go deep to the inner baffle too.
You'll want to aim for the #3 spot, on mine the outer cap was only about 2-1/2" inside the plate. I used a 3/4" drill bit and removed the whole end cap, it made a big difference so I didn't go deep trying to reach anything else inside it because now it's plenty loud for my taste.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I did mine, I bought a 7/16" x 12" bit...But the cap on that tube isn't that far in...Might reach it with a regular 7/16" bit....
Cool Dude, thanks for the info.

Awesome Ray, thank you.

You'll want to aim for the #3 spot, on mine the outer cap was only about 2-1/2" inside the plate. I used a 3/4" drill bit and removed the whole end cap, it made a big difference so I didn't go deep trying to reach anything else inside it because now it's plenty loud for my taste.
Good info Doug, not sure how I'm gonna finish it up yet, but I appreciate the info.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
When you start wanting more sound look up the Kiwi Mod. After awhile you'll be looking for aftermarket pipes, it's the normal progression with pipes.:D

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you start wanting more sound look up the Kiwi Mod. After awhile you'll be looking for aftermarket pipes, it's the normal progression with pipes.:D
Thanks Jerry. Yeah, I keep hearing that theme. LOL. We'll see how long I can play the balance game between free mods and no money to do anything else anyway. LOL

How is the healing coming along BTW? Hope all is well with you and yours.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Thanks Jerry. Yeah, I keep hearing that theme. LOL. We'll see how long I can play the balance game between free mods and no money to do anything else anyway. LOL

I'm coming along better every day, I walk around the block a couple times a day and have therapy 3 times a week. I'm working hard to get back on the bike. Epi was a great help to me with our PM's when I was feelingdown. Everyone here has been in my coener, what a great group when your down.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm coming along better every day, I walk around the block a couple times a day and have therapy 3 times a week. I'm working hard to get back on the bike. Epi was a great help to me with our PM's when I was feelingdown. Everyone here has been in my coener, what a great group when your down.

That's awesome Jerry, glad to her you're getting around so well. I agree with you, this is a great place with a great bunch of people ready to help, no matter what it's with. I am gonna PM you my cell just in case you need some words of encouragement, just need to talk, or need a good kick in the ass for motivation. LOL

Keep up the good work, and you'll be back in the saddle in no time.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts

For what it's worth I'm the odd ball of the group, I drilled my pipes almost 3 yrs ago and still love the sound and have no plans of ever changing them :D
Being I like the look and now the sound of the stocker's, I'd even have a hard time deciding to change them if I had a set of pipes given to me. (even though that even sounds stupid to me as I type it,lol)

Glad to hear it Jerry... keep up the good work!!

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, added to the sound by going into the 6 o'clock position with a half inch drill bit to open up that sealed pipe sitting there. Deeper tone, richer sound. Thanks tmichael23 and Charlie D, can't remember who said it first. Awesome advice. :mosh:

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
In this case... drill baby drill... Clayton is fun.

Mort

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you ever want to hear what the Kiwi Mod sounds like come on over and I'll throw a set back on mine for you.

Hey, that sounded like the invite I was waiting for. lol. I will definitely let you know. How hard is that to do? Gonna have to look up Kiwi mod now. LOL :cheers:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts